cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with can bus and VW car

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Mon Jul 29 15:11:27 MST 2013
Hello. Does anybody help me with this?....i wanna conect the lpcxpresso 1769 to my VW car and read the RPM values...Is this possible?...Is this very hard to do?...I wanna do this for my college project but i dont have idea about can
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Thu Aug 08 17:17:15 MST 2013
Si accedes a mi perfil desde cualquier parte donde aparece mi nickname, debería haber una pestaña que dice "contact". Desde ahi puedes enviarme un mensaje con tu correo :)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Thu Aug 08 10:01:27 MST 2013
Este es mi auto http://www.clubdelgol.com.ar/Historia/Historia3/historia3.htm sacaron una version parecida en mexico? Por ahi tengo suerte y son los mismos codigos. Te cuento que el mio es el mas comun de todos modelo 2001 motor naftero 1.6lts 8v
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Thu Aug 08 09:57:18 MST 2013
Este es mi auto http://www.clubdelgol.com.ar/Historia/Historia3/historia3.htm sacaron una version parecida en mexico? Por ahi tengo suerte y son los mismos codigos. Te cuento que el mio es el mas comun de todos modelo 2001 motor naftero 1.6lts 8v
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Thu Aug 08 09:51:50 MST 2013
Como funciona este analizador exactamente?. Lo podre usar en mi auto?. No vi una lista de autos disponibles. Con este scan le mandare codigos y vere lo que la ecu me responde?. Y como sabre que codigo le mandare para las RPM?. El de microchip no funciona?. Pasa que el de microchip se lo consigue en la argentina. A este lo tendria que hacer traer y aca hay muchos problemas con las importaciones y con el dolar la bendita presidente que tenemos saco un par de leyes restrigiendo las importaciones. Pero si vos me decis que con esto va a funcionar sigo adelante sino la verdad que desisto con el proyecto porque tengo hasta febrero del anio que viene para presentarlo. Pero estaba muy buena la idea de hacer algo asi. Como hago para conseguir tu mail? Porque me parece que por aca no se puede pasar. Muchas gracias por la ayuda. Si alguna vez tenes pensado visitar mi pais tenes hospedaje en mi casa. La verdad que es la primera vez en mi vida que veo un microcontrolador y aprender de cero con este micro de 32 bit me resulta bastante complicado sumandole a eso que hace anios no programo en c y eso me esta costando bastante tambien. Muchas gracias por la mano que me das. Estoy completamente agradecido
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Wed Aug 07 18:20:01 MST 2013
It depends on a lot of variables. The model-year of the car, where was it assembled, where did the ECU come from, whether or not they sell the exact same car in US/Europe, etc.

If your car supports the OBD-II/EOBD standard, reading the engine speed is easy. This standard is mandatory in the regions I mentioned but there is no regulation in other parts of the world (Japan adopted a similar standard named JOBD around 2008). The manufacturer may have put a compliant ECU for their own convenience if they sell the same car in The US and/or Europe. We have the exact same problem in Mexico.

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is hooking up a compliant Scantool. I believe this is better suited for your needs than the Microchip tool:

http://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/pc-based/obdlink.html

Look at the STN1100 reference manual, they have a serial communication API you can use to read values directly.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Wed Aug 07 09:41:02 MST 2013
Oh my God....so...is my project unrealizable?....i cant believe it. Why are different the codes here in south america than europe?. there isnt way to know about the RPM code for my car?. If I buy the microchip CAN bus analizer, could do something with this?. For example send some query and see what the ecu response
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Tue Aug 06 19:00:18 MST 2013
I didn't realize you were in Argentina. I assumed you were in the US or Europe. The standards I mentioned above may not apply to your car.

I speak Spanish. You can send me a message.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Tue Aug 06 12:20:38 MST 2013
Hello i was looking for something about CAN and found this example but i dont know exactly how it work...can you help me?. Could i use it for my project?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Tue Aug 06 08:32:04 MST 2013
Hello EREYES. Do you speak spanish? i hate write in english...ja ja...if you speak spanish i can send you a private message if you dont, doesnt matter but i hope you can understand my english. Im new in MCU and its so pretty dificult all this. I have a pair of doubts. First a guy here in bs as told me that every factory for example volkswagen, renault, fiat, etc has their own codes and they're hidden and there is not many information about this. Second i thonk buy this product http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=APGDT002 and try with this but i dont know if it's right to do this o simply try with the lpcxpresso 1769....third i dont know why i have to use the  CAN transceiver (TJA1050 or similar) because the lpc bring can bus. And the last one and the more dificult part...can you help me with the code? i know it's so much but i will be grateful if you can help me with the code. The idea is for the moment send the code and receive by rs232 the code and read it in a pc. I have a problem: my car is a volkswagen but i dont have the car because im from tucuman and im living in bs as, the car is in tucuman. Can i try with a friend's car?, it's a peugeot. If it's work with the peugeot...will work with the volkswagen?. I hope you can help me. In my college the people dont know about this an CAN bus. People surround me tell me that it's so hard to do but simply i dont give up...is my personal fight
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by EReyes on Wed Jul 31 22:26:16 MST 2013
It is possible, how hard it is depends on your definition of hard. You didn't specify where you are going to display or send the RPM value or how do you plan to power the board, assuming you want to power the board from the +12V supply on the OBD-II port, you want to do something like this:

- Make a small board with a voltage regulator (LM7805 or similar) and a CAN transceiver (TJA1050 or similar)
- Connect the signals accordingly, refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics#OBD-II  - notice there are CAN_H and CAN_L signals on the OBD port, and CAN_TX / CAN_RX signals on your board. This is where the transceiver fits in.
- Write a program for your LPC1769 board that configures the CAN controller at 500 kbps. I'm pretty sure there is an example for CAN initialization, sending, receiving, etc. available from NXP.
- Send the RPM PID Request on CAN ID 0x07DF - Refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
- Receive the response on CAN ID 0x07E8

Your request/response messages should look like these:

Address -- Message
000007DF -- 02 01 0C FF FF FF FF FF
000007E8 -- 04 41 0C 0B A4 00 00 00

Bytes 0B and A4 form your RPM value.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pindonga123 on Mon Jul 29 15:12:44 MST 2013
I wanna do by Can bus interface
0 Kudos