LPC1768: DMA channel is always asserted (UART RX)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1768: DMA channel is always asserted (UART RX)

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LuukvanderBiezen on Wed Dec 05 03:13:51 MST 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm currently creating a DMA module on a LPC1768. In my software I want to be able to assign the first free DMA channel (starting at channel 0) automatically for the datatransfer. My software searches for the first unused channel using the DMA Enabled Channel register (DMACEnbldChns). Currently I'm using DMA with UART2 and it works when I use fixed DMA channels (e.g. channel 0 for UART TX and channel 2 for UART RX). I can transfer data to and receive data from the PC. The automatic assignment of the DMA channels works for UART TX but for UART RX it doesn't.

My problem is that the DMA channel that is assigned to UART RX is normally asserted (channel active). When transferring data the channel is de-asserted. When I'm using UART2 TX the channel is normally de-asserted and is asserted when transferring data. So when I want to do several datatransfers in a row the software assigns all channels to UART RX, because the DMA channel that is assigned to UART2 RX stays active.

I've searched in the datasheet, user manual, technical reference manuals (PL011 and PL080) and on the internet but couldn't find helpful information. Is anyone familiar with this 'problem'? Is there an easy solution for this problem, or do I have to assign a fixed channel for every UART RX? Can anyone please help me?!

Software (fixed channel):

bool DmaDataReceive(TDmaMode DmaMode, dmaRequestPeripheral dmaReq, char * DataPtr, uns32 DataLength)   // dmaReq = UART2, dmaMode = dmaModeP2M
{
   uns8                                    DmaChannelNumber = 2;
   char                                    SourcePeripheral = DmaConnNrRcv[dmaReq];  
   uns32                                   SourceAddress = DmaPeripheralAddress[dmaReq];

DmaChannel = (LPC_GPDMACH_TypeDef *) GpdmaChannel[DmaChannelNumber];

// Clear any pending interrupts on the channel to be used
   LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntTCClear = (1<<DmaChannelNumber);
   LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntErrClr = (1<<DmaChannelNumber);

if (DmaMode == dmaModeP2M)
   {
      DmaChannel->DMACCSrcAddr = SourceAddress;               // LPC_UART2_BASE
      DmaChannel->DMACCDestAddr = (uns32) DataPtr;
      DmaChannel->DMACCLLI = 0;    // no next data packet
      DmaChannel->DMACCControl = (DmaChCtrl_TransferSize(0x10)) |  // DataLength
                                 (DmaChCtrl_SrcBurstSize(DmaBurstSize_1)) |
                                 (DmaChCtrl_DestBurstSize(DmaBurstSize_1)) |
                                 (DmaChCtrl_SrcTransferWidth(DmaTransferWidth_Byte)) |
                                 (DmaChCtrl_DestTransferWidth(DmaTransferWidth_Byte)) |
                                 (DmaChCtrl_DestInc) |
                                 (DmaChCtrl_TCIntEn);
      DmaChannel->DMACCConfig = (DmaChCfg_E) |
                                (DmaChCfg_SrcPeripheral(SourcePeripheral)|      // DMA_UART2_RX
                                (DmaChCfg_TransferType(DmaMode)) |
                                (DmaChCfg_IntErr) |
                                (DmaChCfg_IntTC));
   }
}

I'm currently not doing anything in the ISR except:

DMA_IRQHandler
{  
   regVal = LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntTCStat;
   if (regVal)
   {
      LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntTCClear = regVal;
   }
   regVal = LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntErrStat;
   if (regVal)
   {
      LPC_GPDMA->DMACIntErrClr = regVal;
   }
}
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LuukvanderBiezen on Thu Dec 06 02:18:35 MST 2012
Summary of my topic:
I can send data to and from a PC with UART using DMA with both TX and RX. I want to implement automatic assignment of DMA channels in my software by using the DMAC enabled channels register.

Problem:
My problem is that the DMA channel, that is assigned to UART RX, is normally asserted (channel active). When transferring data the channel is de-asserted (inactive). Under normal circumstances a DMA channel is active during datatransfer and inactive when the datatransfer is finished. E.g. When I'm using UART2 TX the channel is normally inactive and when transferring data the channel is active. When I want to do several datatransfers through UART RX in a row my software assigns all channels to UART RX. This is because the DMA channel, that is assigned on the last datatransfer to UART2 RX, stays active (when no data is transferred).
(first datatransfer using ch0, second datatransfer using ch1 because ch0 is active (UART RX from first datatransfer), etc.)

As I said before, the data does arrive at the PC. The problem is that the DMA channel, that is assigned to UART2 RX, is active during idle state and inactive during datatransfers. Does anybody know where I can find useful information? I would like to know if the UART (RX) is the only peripheral that has this 'problem' and why the channel is asserted. Do I really have to assign a fixed channel for every UART RX?

I've searched in the datasheet, user manual, technical reference manuals (PL011 and PL080) and on the internet but couldn't find helpful information.

Where can I edit my forum topic? I want to change the text and the headername.
0 Kudos