Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emWin High Resource Usage

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by neilt6 on Wed Jul 03 17:23:00 MST 2013
I'm trying to get emWin v5.18 up and running on an LPC11U35/401 with a monochrome 128x64 OLED display (Solomon SSD1306 over i2c), and I'm running into issues with resource consumption. I'm using the SPage 1510 driver with caching enabled, so I know I need 1024 bytes of RAM for that, but if I allocate less than 3250 bytes, it hard faults when I try to run the emWin Hello World snippet! I've disabled literally everything in the configuration header, and it still wants 3250+ bytes of RAM just to print some text. It's also taking about 30KB of flash just for emWin, Hello World, and the LPCOpen 11U14 board library. Am I missing something here? The user manual made it out to be very lightweight when driving monochrome displays without a window manager...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by neilt6 on Thu Jul 04 07:49:58 MST 2013

Thanks for quick reply. I wanted to use to use emWin in order to be future forward, but I may have to consider other options if it's going to take half of my resources.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Wouter on Thu Jul 04 05:16:56 MST 2013

Hi,

It's true that emWin can be configured for small systems, but only when this has been taken into account when compiling emWin from source. Since the free NXP emWin libraries are only provided as pre-compiled libraries, we had to choose either to provide a minimal version for small systems, a full-blown version, or anything in between. Since we currently already provide 31 libraries for each emWin release, we have choosen to only provide the full-blown version with all features enabled to keep it managable. Due to the nature of emWin, certain window-manager related functions do get linked in with these full-blown libraries, even when not using the window manager and "disabling" it in the application's GUI_config.h file.

If you're looking for a basic and small graphical framework, you may want to have a look at SWIM:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/an10815-swim-nxps-basic-graphics-library-lpc-products-v30

Regards,

Wouter

0 Kudos