cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP CAN controllers

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by push2eject on Thu Mar 17 20:26:59 MST 2016

I've noticed that NXP seem to use two different CAN controller implementations:

- the CAN1/2 controller as used in the LPC17xx & LPC40xx
- the Bosch designed C_CAN controller as used in the LPC11Cxx, LPC18xx & LPC43xx (although with some significant usability issues in the LPC43xx)

These are very different controllers, and I'm wondering why NXP use one or the other, and what the future trend will be?

Thanks,
Kevin.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
bump
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Sun Mar 20 00:56:09 MST 2016

Quote: push2eject
Yes, I was referring to the address decoding issues covered in the errata that cause interference between the C_CAN and other peripherals. I need to use both CAN controllers, and this is a bit of a showstopper for me. I hope they fix this soon.

This is fixed in the latest revision (but please check yourself before you use a specific part).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by push2eject on Sat Mar 19 19:47:47 MST 2016
Yes, I was referring to the address decoding issues covered in the errata that cause interference between the C_CAN and other peripherals. I need to use both CAN controllers, and this is a bit of a showstopper for me. I hope they fix this soon.

It sounds like the C_CAN is the one being used in newer devices, so I expect this (or Bosch's newer M_CAN, which some Freescale parts use) to go in future LPC parts.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mysepp on Fri Mar 18 07:22:12 MST 2016
Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "(although with some significant usability issues in the LPC43xx)"?
Do you mean other than the ones described in errata?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by starblue on Fri Mar 18 06:10:50 MST 2016
You overlooked LPC15xx, which also uses C_CAN.
LPC17xx is the oldest family, all the others are newer.
0 Kudos