MCF54455EVB USB host - how to use mass storage device ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF54455EVB USB host - how to use mass storage device ?

chris82369
Contributor I
I am looking for a "quick start" guide to using the USB host support of the MCF54455EVB.

I just received a MCF54455EVB and I would like to do some testing of the MCF5445x USB host performance.

Linux boots and I can run the mp3play demo and boa HTTP server, but what I would like to do is connect a USB mass storage device (USB "thumb drive") and transfer some files back and forth.

There is a USB-A host port on the EVB as well as a mini-AB on-the-go port.   To start with I would like to use the full-size USB-A host port -- I realize that will limit me to full-speed for now.

I have tried moving the SW1-4 dip switch to "ON" (as well as the default "OFF") but so far I seem to get no response to plugging in my USB mass-storage memory stick to the USB-A host port.  The USB-stick I have has an LED that illuminates when the device is powered, and the LED does not come on.

When I run the "lsusb -v" command I get no response.

I appreciate any advice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

MikeFo
Contributor I
Hi Chris

If you get some numbers on transfer rates then I would be really interested in the results. Particulary if you can get an adaptor and run via the USB at high speed.

Any chance you could post your results back here?

Mike
0 Kudos

chris82369
Contributor I
I did several tests using a random no-name brand USB stick I had around (swag from a trade-show).

I believe I see over 50Mbits/second throughput reading from the USB mass storage device.

Here is an example of a test I ran:

TEST1: Read 10MByte (80Mbit) file from USB memory stick.

# time cat /mnt/usb1/10mb > /dev/null real
0m
1.47s user   
0m 0.01s sys    
0m 1.08s

(10MB * 8bits/B) / 1.47s = 54.4Mbits/second.

CPU load ?? = 100% * (1.08+0.1)/1.47 = 80%

0 Kudos

chris82369
Contributor I

I found the information.   The kit comes with a DVD.  On the DVD is an ISO image of a CD-ROM.   On the resulting CD-ROM there is information on how to use USB devices -- the USB support is not compiled into the kernel -- a
"modprobe ehci-hcd" is necessary to load the USB host driver.

0 Kudos