ARNIE BERGER

Trouble with latest version of CodeWarrior C/C++ for ColdFire (sort of long)

Discussion created by ARNIE BERGER on Apr 17, 2008
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 by Christian Walter
Hello,
      This is my first posting so please bear wityh me. I teach embedded systems at the University of Washington. We have been using (very successfully I might add) an older version of CodeWarrior  with the P&E Micro parallel port BDM tool and a ColdFire MF5206eLite dev board. The system has been working great for a number of years and is very stable.

Fast forward. Metrowerks wants me to upgrade to the latest version of CodeWarrior. My IT department wants me to get rid of the old computers in the lab and install new ones. I resisted, knowing the horror that was about to befall me by trying to upgrade. We decided to try to upgrade one lab station. No joy. We are stuck. We solved all the myriad of licensing problems and can actually bring up code warrior. We just can't connect to the target.

I know that the link is working because my P&E Micro software can connect to the board.

Then I had a flash of insight. Suppose that the new version of CodeWarrior only knows how to talk to a USB version of the BDM tool and does not know how to drive the LPT version that I have. That might explain it. So, here are my questions:

1- Is the latest version of CodeWarrior capable of connecting to a Coldfire target through the parallel port or is USB the only way to connect?
2- If 1 is true, how do you tell CodeWarrior to use the LPT port and not USB?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I would prefer it if you e-mailed your answer directly to me at:

aberger@u.washington.edu

arnie berger

Outcomes