cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCP/IP Stack for GPRS

RubenCG
Contributor III
Hi all,

I'm using a mc9s12xdp512 MCU and we want to communicate it via GPRS, I'm searching TCP/IP stack implemented in C code. We normally use Codewarrior IDE.
Do you know something about this term? has Freescale some offcial libs for these tasks?

Thanks for your help
Ruben
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

LightElf
Contributor I
There are multiple solutions. Semi-official Freescale way is OpenTCP (at sourceforge). But code really bad and not maintained for a long time. Another free solution is uIP, which can be ported to HCS12 (I was not used HCS12X) without large pain. There is Embetter source code, downloadable from Freescale site, but license not clear (at least for me). Cheap solution is uTasker, but I don't know how easy to port it to HCS12X. And, finally, a lot of commercial stacks (CMX, Interniche, etc). So, the question is: what exactly you need, which protocols you want to use and what is amount of money/time your project can tolerate.
0 Kudos

RubenCG
Contributor III
Hi LightElf,

We need to control a Modem GPRS with my mc9s12xdp512, sending/receiving data.
What is cheaper C-code in my MCU or buy a modem with TCP/IP Stack implemented?

Thanks for your references, I'll try to visit these webs.
Rubén
0 Kudos

LightElf
Contributor I
Hi, RubenCG!

First you need to decide precise set of protocols you need to have implemented. Usually, for GPRS you need: PPP (with PAP at least, CHAP better), IP itself, ICMP (at least ping reply), DHCP (to get IP address), UDP (requered for DHCP). You can use uIP, or start from Freescale AN2304 and fill gaps (if any) yourself.
If  TCP really needed - better to stay with uIP, because TCP debugging can be very time-consuming task.

0 Kudos

RubenCG
Contributor III
Thanks LightElf, We have to think about how deep will be our job in TCP/IP.
First Freescale Application Note and then uIP, I think it's the better way!

When we start really the project I email you again...for sure!

Thanks
Ruben
0 Kudos