How implement mesh routing using MAC codebase?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How implement mesh routing using MAC codebase?

Spell
Contributor I
Hi, I'm trying to implement a mesh network using 802.15.4 MAC/PHY library without success.
I have one PAN coordinator and 20 FFD that I want to configure as router.
Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance,
filippo
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Filippo,

The MAC layer doesn't provide any routing capabilities. It only provide support for one-to-one and one-to-many message passing between devices, synchronization and other low level functionality.

You will need to write your own NWK layer and implement any network topology your application requires. The easiest alternative is to use BeeStack, the Freescale full implementation of the ZigBee stack.

Regards,
Adrian
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
Thank you Adrian.

So if I want implement a multi-hop network I must develop a routing layer based on MAC codebase right?
Using MAC codebase there's no way to configure a FFD that forward all packet that haven't its address in destination address field?

thanks again,
filippo

Message Edited by Spell on 2008-03-14 03:25 PM
0 Kudos

Mads
Contributor V
Spell,

I think the best recommendation is that you goto www.zigbee.org and download the ZigBee specifiation to get some idea's on how it can be done.

ZigBee used Ad-hoc on-demand vector routing which you can find more information on on wikipedia:

Best regards,

Mads
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
Ok but I don't want implement a complete zigbee routing protocol.
I'm trying to implement a kind of flooding protocol, i.e. all packet received by a device haven't its address in the dest address field must be forwarded to the addressed device.
Is this possible with 802.15.4 Mac/phy freescale library?

thanks in advance,
filippo
0 Kudos

Mads
Contributor V
Spell,

I think you also need to download and look at the 802.15.4 specification.
the 802.15.4 have an addressing scheme with build in acknowlegde.
What you are attempting to do will require a "network" layer on top.

That is why I suggested that reading the ZigBee specification would give you some ideas on this.
You dont have to implement mesh routing to get tree routing - but you need to implement it your self.

else I can recommend that you look at the SMAC, which today have an repeater application that allows you to extend a network.

BR,
Mads
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
Thank you for your reply.

I developped a small nwk layer that implement my simple routing protocol.
Now the problem is that the router after few minutes stop to receive.
Which could it be the cause of this problem?

regards,
filippo
0 Kudos