68HC11 upgrade to S12 Assembler question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

68HC11 upgrade to S12 Assembler question

jelenacavar
Contributor I

Hello everyone, first time posting. Just need some instructions from you to point me where to look since I cannot find online some good starting material for this 8-bit chips, guess I'm searching too late for this. So, I have an old system which needs a redesign. It is based on 8-bit Motorola MCU (68HC11). I got source code from it, it is bunch of .asm, .s19, and .inc files. I never worked in asm and I want this to translate in C for some newer chip (maybe S12?). But I don't know where to start. What could be used as dev environment for this? Is there a way for me to recognise what the starting point of software is (some main function)? How are these files linked together? Which method is for burning bunch of files like this to a single chip (something like .hex or .bin)? If you can just provide me some links for learning this project structure for a start or some guidelines? I'm happy to learn this myself but I don't know where to look. Kind regards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jelena,

yes, you can migrate from HC11 to HCS12 (shortly S12 device) quite easily. The code is compatible, but some development tools are necessary for S12 devices such as a development board, an IDE (debugger/compiler) and a HW programmer.

- IDE:CodeWarrior for S12(X) MCUs v5.1
Video Link : 5109

- Programmer: P&E USB Multilink
BDM Multilink In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer|NXP

Kindly see attached PDF where you can find detailed information about the migration.

As the S12 family is quite old, so are the evaluation board too. Most possibly they are not available to buy directly from us. It may be that some distributors have boards still available.

Regards,

Ivan

jelenacavar
Contributor I

Thank you Ivan.

0 Kudos