cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8323 I2C EEPROM BOOT

vidyasagartata
Contributor II

Dear All,

Please let me know process to I2C EEPROM boot of MPC8323ERDB board.

I have the I2C EEPROM (0x50) working in u-boot as well as in Linux stage.

Our requirement is as follow:

Whenever our MPC8323ERDB board fails the NOR boot in R & D or in the trail, we can boot from I2C EEPROM without JTAG/external cable connection.

Please let me know the which uboot file need to write in the I2C EEPROM and what is the compilation procedure and what setting is required in the hardware/software to boot from I2C EEPROM.

I am using SDK1.7.

EEPROM part number Inventory PROM 24LC01BTISN.

Thanks,

Sagar

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We recommend using SDK 1.9 or SDK 2.0 for LS1021 or LS1043 boards.

These SDKs support eMMC loading for LS1 boards.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

pro-supportengi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Pavel, can this information be used for the LS1 boards to boot from eMMC if the board has an eMMC?

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry for delay.

Look at new attachment.

Use this software for EEPROM file generation.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

vidyasagartata
Contributor II

Dear Pavel,

Can you send me procedure how to generate specific file for boot sequencer.

I got .cpp file there, cross-compiled, but do not know which file need to flash in the EEPROM and how to generate it.

Thanks,

Sagar

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Look at attached files.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

SDK 1.7 does not support the MPC8323 processor. NXP offers LTIB Linux BSP for the MPC8323E RDB board:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=CWF-MPC8323E-RDB&nodeId=0152109D3F03326232&appType=licen...

It looks like that this BSP can be used for your board.

The boot sequencer provides the means to load the hardware reset configuration word and to configure any memory-mapped register before the boot-up code runs. The MPC8323 does not have possibility to boot from I2C EEPROM.

See the MPC8323 Design Checklist:

http://cache.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN3361.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=2&pageNum=1.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

0 Kudos

vidyasagartata
Contributor II
Dear Pavel,
Thanks for reply.
You are correct boot sequencer provides the means to load the hardware reset configuration word and to configure any memory-mapped register before the boot-up code runs.
I went through reference manual and data sheet, we can flash .src file in I2C EEPROM and after rebooting we can access serial console and NOR flash, after rebooting we can flash u-boot file in the NOR(flash memory).
We customized SDK1.7 for MPC8323ERDB board, able to cross compile u-boot, uImage and file systems and working fine.
We have 128MBytes DDR2 SDRAM and 128MBytes NOR flash in the MPC8323ERDB custom board, everything are working in the SDK1.7.
Please suggest me how to generate the .src file for MPC8323ERDB, i want to access serial console and NOR flash memory from I2C EEPROM.
This is required because we faced issue in the our trail, if flash u-boot gets corrupted then I2C EEPROM will be very useful to use, we can access the serial and NOR flash without JTAG.
I am waiting for your response.
Thanks,

Sagar

0 Kudos