Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nitrogen6x_max wfd-sink application crashing

Jump to solution
anandmistryk
Contributor II

Hi,

We are getting a driver crash whever we try to use the wfd-sink application on the Nitrogen6_max board. The board has LS research's LSR TiWI BLE module on it.

We've tried the following stuffs

* Android Kitkat 4.4.3-ga release image from boundary devices site

* Android Lollipop 5.1.1-ga release image from boundary devices site

* self compiled android kitkat image

We used Xiaomi MI3 phone for this. Is there any configuration that we need to do prior to attempting to connect a wifi display source?

Please suggest how can we make this work.

Thanks and Regards,

Anand Mistry

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Anand,

Yes we are aware of this issue and it seems to come down to the P2P connection failing when transferring data. Since TI isn't providing any update on the multi-role firmware for the WL12xx we couldn't get further.

But please, copy/paste your dmesg and logcat output to make sure it fails the same way on your end.

Regards,

Gary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Anand,

Good news for the wl18xx and WiFi Direct!

What do you mean by "display source is not working"? To our knowledge there's nothing else to enable, our release is in line with Freescale setup.

What does the WFDSink app tells you? As a FYI, its source code is located under external/wfd-proprietary.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
anandmistryk
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

We have successfully interfaced WL1837 module to android_4.4.3 on Nitrogen6_max.

Now wifi direct works properly.

However, WiFi display source is not working in boundary devices android port.

Can you please tell me how can we enable WiFi display source?

Thanks and Regards,

Anand Mistry

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Anand,

Yes we are aware of this issue and it seems to come down to the P2P connection failing when transferring data. Since TI isn't providing any update on the multi-role firmware for the WL12xx we couldn't get further.

But please, copy/paste your dmesg and logcat output to make sure it fails the same way on your end.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
anandmistryk
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Please find the kernel logs at  This Pastebin link.

And the logcat at this Pastebin link.

We have a few more questions.

1. can you please tell us if the issue also occurs on latest (backported) drivers?

for example wlink8 (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/WL18xx_First_Time_Getting_Started_Guide_(IMX6))?

2. We are currently using wl1271 (nitrogen 6_max) for evaluation purpose. But in our product, we are planning to use WL1807mod. Will wifi display sink/source/miracast work correctly on it?

Thanks and Regards,

Anand Mistry

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Anand,

Here are my answers:

1/ We haven't tried the backported drivers for the wl12xx as I believe they haven't changed/improved much for a long time. It would make sense for the more recent wl18xx indeed, not sure about the wl12xx.

2/ This is a question for TI, but I would expect the wl18xx chips to offer better P2P/multi-role performances/stability indeed. Also, since you are going to change, I wouldn't spend too much time investigating on the wl12xx if I were you.

Your logs seems to confirm the instability we have been seeing. Is Bluetooth turned on? We've noticed that BT + WiFi Direct was even more unstable for the current firmware, I recommend turning it off if not necessary.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
anandmistryk
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Were you able use the wl1271 in p2p-only mode?

Thanks and Regards,

Anand Mistry

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Anand,

What do you mean by p2p-only mode? The firmware is either single (STA mode) or multi-role (STA+P2P).

Then using the Settings menu, I was able to connect to another P2P platform (check on WiFi-Direct sub-menu). But once again this wasn't stable and disconnection often happens.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos