AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem flashing U-Boot to SABRE-AI Parallel NOR from U-Boot

Question asked by Shkolnyy Konstantin on Jun 1, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by Shkolnyy Konstantin

I have SABRE-AI with i.MX6QuadPlus. I'm using the latest Freescale Yocto project.

I can build and boot U-boot and Linux from the SD card slot.

Now I need to relocate U-boot into the 32Mb 16-bit parallel NOR flash (AKA EIMNOR or WEIMNOR in various h-files).

I'm trying to do that using U-boot flash writing commands, but I'm unable to find a way to do that.

Freescale "i.MX Linux User's Guide, Flashing U-Boot on Parallel NOR from U-Boot" says:

"Flashing directly to Parallel NOR with TFTPBoot is limited to i.MX 6 SABRE-AI boards. To flash U-Boot on Parallel NOR, perform the following steps:

1. Boot from an SD card.

2. TFTP the U-Boot image.

tftpboot ${loadaddr} u-boot.imx

3. Flash the U-Boot image.

cp.b ${loadaddr} 0x1000 ${filesize}

4. Change boot switches and reboot."

Immediately I'm confused - why is the address 0x1000?

"Parallel NOR flash memory map" says "The address for parallel NOR is 0x8000000 for i.MX 6 SABRE-AI." Is there an error? I'm afraid to even try - what if I damage the board?

So I try the flinfo command in my SD U-boot - it silently returns. Is it not implemented? Not found the NOR? I have no idea.

Then I build an EIMNOR U-boot as described in "Freescale Yocto Project User's Guide" and write to the SD card in place of the original SD U-boot. This doesn't work - none of U-boot start messages are printed to the serial terminal. Trying to do the same for SPINOR U-boot actually works - it boots and complains that it doesn't like the "environment" in SPI NOR, which I'd expect. flinfo command still prints nothing.

So, did anybody have success in "Flashing U-Boot on Parallel NOR from U-Boot"?

Outcomes