Why was BOARD_USE_VIRTUALCOM removed from KSDK2.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why was BOARD_USE_VIRTUALCOM removed from KSDK2.0

yorknh
Contributor IV

Put in different terms, KSDK1.3.0 had code in fsl_debug_console that allowed specifying a USB port as the debug console output port. That has been removed from KSDK2.0. I'm wondering what the reasoning was.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry,

If you have the KSDK_v2 distribution for your Kinetis device (and/or Freedom or Tower) then look in the following path for example if using virtual com in two ways:

C:\NXP\KSDK_v2\SDK_2.0_FRDM-KL43Z_KDS\boards\frdmkl43z\usb_examples\usb_device_cdc_vcom\bm\kds\debug

This example uses the debugger interface to output a simple message to COM port.

If you connect a second USB cable to the USB connected to Kinetis, then another VCOM will enumerate and whatever you type gets echoed back.

With KSDK_v2 there is only one project that contains everything you need and you do not have to worry about compiling libraries.

Look in your project folder to see "utilities" folder that has fsl_debug_console.c/h files.

Ex:

pastedImage_0.png

In the "board" folder also has board.c/h and in board.c the Kinetis UART used to connect to OpenSDA interface is initialized:

DbgConsole_Init(BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BASEADDR, BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BAUDRATE, BOARD_DEBUG_UART_TYPE, uartClkSrcFreq);

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

yorknh
Contributor IV

Hi David,

Thanks for replying, but either I'm not understanding your response, or you didn't understand my question. I'm using a frdm-k64 and have the appropriate KSDK2.0 distribution to go with it. I have already built and tried the usb_device_cdc_vcom example and it does what it is supposed to. My question is about the implementation of  DbgConsole_Init(). In KSDK1.3.0 one could specify kDebugConsoleUART which is BOARD_DEBUG_UART_TYPE in KSDK2.0. You could alternately specify kDebugConsoleUSBCDC which has no KSDK2.0 equivalent. In KSDK1.3.0 you could make the USB port the debug console port, this was seemingly removed from KSDK2.0.

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry,

I'll ask the developers and see if there is rhyme or reason for difference in capability from KSDK_1.3 to KSDK_v2 for you.. 

You are right there is no simple switch (aka #define) to enable VCOM for the fsl_debug_console routines.  If you want it today you would have to merge the the vcom project with your project to enable that capability.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

yorknh
Contributor IV

It's been a few months now, and there was never an update to this question. Any word?

GiulianoLeitede
Contributor II

It seems that there is an option to point dbgConsole to USB CDC - see the DbgConsole_Init with option "DEBUG_CONSOLE_DEVICE_TYPE_USBCDC". I didn't test yet but looking the implementation of init, USB CDC wasn't added, so I guess we back to your question.

0 Kudos