Cannot Measure Target Baudrate When Programming 908QC16 TSSOP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Measure Target Baudrate When Programming 908QC16 TSSOP

MrWizard
Contributor I
I recently modified a DEMO908QB8 board by removing the resident processor and adding a connector to an adapter board that allows me to program 'QC16' 20-pin SOIC and TSSOP devices.  The SOIC devices consistently program without any problems.  However, with the TSSOP devices, the programmer initially connects and reports that the device responded properly but always stops and reports that it "could not measure target baudrate."

Both sockets are correctly wired for the different pinouts of each package type and the signals to either device look fine on a scope.

Do the TSSOP devices require a different programming algorithm or is there something in the literature that I have overlooked?

Any additional insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I can given a solid answer to the question of flash programming - No they are exactly the same.
If fact the same device in a different package has exactly the same specifications.

From experience in  building prototypes, you might consider that the TSSOP is much finer pitch that the SOIC, and a careful inspection may reveal a small solder bridge between pins and or a pin not completely soldered.

Hopefully you have or have access to a microscope, like around 7x. Inspect from the side, as solder bridges can escape detection when viewed only from the top side.
0 Kudos

MrWizard
Contributor I
Jim -

Thanks for the info - I was pretty sure that all family members are created equal, but ever hopeful that the problem was not on my end.

The solder joints to the prototype adapter boards look good - the problem may be related to ESD or power supply problems.
0 Kudos