Question mark (?) on KDS Folders

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question mark (?) on KDS Folders

aerodame
Contributor III

What does the ? mean on a folder in the Project Explorer?  And what does it mean to "FORMAT" the source?

150269_150269.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-24 at 1.52.48 PM.png

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

and another article about how to use workspaces with  version control, see https://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/02/02/eclipse-workspace-tips/

Erich

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Stephen

Label Decorations are used by CVS to show important synchronization information about workspace resources.  The ‘?’ decoration on a file or folder icon indicates that the resource is not under version control.

Hope this helps! 

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

TIC - Technical Information Center

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aerodame
Contributor III

OK, I use GIT and oh, great I see that the ?'s go away when I check in all my files.   One thing that is problematic is all of the .metadata that I can't easily exclude using .gitignore (or don't know what data I should exclude).   Does anyone have advice on best practices there?

Also, to my second question.  What is the Format Source?

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Stephen

I have no experience on GIT.   For version control problem, I think user only needs to check in the project folder, excluding ‘Debug’ subfolder.  The “.metadata” records the configurations for workspace, not for project, so “.metadata” can be excluded from version control.

The “Source->Format” commands applies the full  “C/C++ > Code Style > Formatter” preferences to the entire contents of the active editor, or to the selection if there is one.

format.png

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

TIC - Technical Information Center

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stephen,

nothing of the .metadata shall be in the version control system, so you need to exclude it completely.

The common usage with Version control systems is to have the project/project folder *outside* of the workspace, and not inside. that way you do not need to care about the .metadata.

Related to that topic, there is information about what to share and not her:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/03/17/dissection-of-mcu10-projects/

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/03/29/version-control-with-processor-expert-projects/

If not using Processor Expert, you can ignore all the things about Processor Expert files.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos