cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN not connected on DEMOAX9S12P128?

lm-lechau
Contributor I

Hi,

We have bought the DEMOAX9S12P128 kit for MSCAN driver development. The user manual says: "However,  CAN  and  LIN  functionality  is  not  supported  when  power  solely  from  the  OSBDM". But it seems in fact that in this board, CAN is not connected at all?

We also checked with a multimeter that the SPI signal MOSI (PM4) was not connected to the SBC chip, while the PM4 pad reserved for the 112 pin MCU was. Also, in the schematics, the CAN and SPI signals (such as PM0_RXCAN0 and PM4_MOSI0) are labeled only on the 112 pin variants (U1), not the 80 pin variant (U2).

It's pretty strange that the board's user manual and Webpage don't mention anything about it: Demo Board for 9S12P128|NXP

1) Could you confirm our above finding? Or are we missing anything?

2) If we are right, would it be possible to connect a CAN transceiver to this board? Or is there another solution?

We wanted to move to DEMOAX9S12XEP100, but it's available nowhere

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lm-lechau
Contributor I

Hello iggi and thank you for your reply. Regarding the S12XE card, what I meant was that it was not available for immediate orders. The NXP Website mentions "Pending stock." I will check in more details the Axiom link.

0 Kudos

iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

the board you are referring on NXP website is the old one DEMO9S12P128 made by Softec.

The new one DEMOAX9S12P128 you have is made by Axiom:
DEMOAX9S12 | Axiom Manufacturing

Note that there is one board layout which can have 3 different MCUs - P128, XEP100 and XS128.

On the board there is SBC MCZ33905 integrating CAN and LIN physical layers and this chip is powered from the J14 connector.

(The barrel connector at J14 allows use of the SBD to power the target design. This power input also supports use CAN and LIN communications. Input voltage must exceed +12VDC to support CAN and LIN functionality)

And btw it looks like the board with S12XE MCU is available to buy from NXP website:

Demo Board for the 16-bit MC9S12XE|NXP

Regards,

iggi

0 Kudos