On page 6 of data sheet for the MPXV7025 it says “The pressure sensor is designed to operate with positive differential pressure applied, P1 > P2.” Is this correct because the sensor is advertised as a pressure and vacuum sensor? For MPX7007 and other va

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On page 6 of data sheet for the MPXV7025 it says “The pressure sensor is designed to operate with positive differential pressure applied, P1 > P2.” Is this correct because the sensor is advertised as a pressure and vacuum sensor? For MPX7007 and other va

alanbergum
Contributor I

On page 6 of data sheet for the MPXV7025 it says “The pressure sensor is designed to operate with positive differential pressure applied, P1 > P2.” Is this correct because the sensor is advertised as a pressure and vacuum sensor?  For MPX7007 and other vacuum sensors in the MPX7**** family the data sheets says “The pressure sensor is designed to operate with both positive and negative differential pressure applied, P1 > P2 or P1 < P2.” Can you help clarify this?  Is the note on the data sheet for the MPZV7025 an error?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Alan,

The NXP pressure sensors are designed to measure pressure in one direction and are not bi–directional, except the MPXV70xx family.

It is possible to measure either a positive pressure OR a negative pressure, but not both. For example, the sensor can be designed to accept a “positive” pressure on the P1 port, providing that P1 is greater or equal to P2 while staying with in the sensors specified pressure range. Or, the sensor can measure “negative” pressure (a vacuum) by applying the pressure to the P2 port, again while P1 is greater or equal to P2 and staying within the sensors specified range.

pressure_sensor.jpg

The statement in the MPXV70xx datasheet that P1 must always be > P2 is incorrect and will be removed in the next datasheet revision. Please accept our apologies for this confusing information in the datasheet.

I hope this information will be useful for you.

If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.

David Diaz.

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

trf_opey
Contributor I

Hi David,

The first part of your answer above clouds the topic a bit.

Just to be clear, for the specific part numbers MPXV7025DP and the MPVZ7025DP (the version with the media resistant gel), can they handle BOTH positive AND negative differential pressure (i.e. P1 pressure > P2 pressure (positive differential pressure) AND P2 pressure > P1 pressure (negative differential pressure)) despite the note on page 6 of the datasheet which states that P1 must always be greater than P2?

The version of the datasheet I have is Rev.6.  One would have expected the 6th revision of the document to have corrected such an error.

Thank you

0 Kudos

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello David,

My apologies if I was not clear enough.

Indeed, you assumption is correct.

If you need to measure both a positive and negative pressure within the same system, we suggest designing with the MPXV70xx family.

I have already reported this error in the documentation. Once again, please accept our apologies for this confusing information in the datasheet.

Have a great day.

David

0 Kudos