CPU usage high while using gstreamer

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU usage high while using gstreamer

kravik
Contributor IV

I am using following gstreamer for camera streaming on a IMX53 based custom board(kernel 2.6.35). When we start gstreamer it is taking 40% CPU. gstreamer version is 0.10.36.

#gst-launch  mfw_v4lsrc device=/dev/video0 ! mfw_v4lsink

I thought of debugging the issue using oprofile, I have copied vmlinux to filesystem and started oprofile but it is giving following error.

The specified file /home/vmlinux does not seem to be valid Make sure you are using the non-compressed image file (e.g. vmlinux not vmlinuz)

I have copied vmlinux file only to filesystem.

Can you help to debug the gstreamer CPU utilization further.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Please try different screen parameters (resolution, frame rate) -

perhaps in Your case really extreme one are applied.

Also, You may try to add gstreamer “queue” element for optimization.

Perhaps it makes sense to use “mfw_isink” instead of “mfw_v4lsink”.

As for Oprofile, please refer to Chapter 34 (OProfile) in “mx53_linux.pdf”

how to treat with it.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kravik
Contributor IV

I have tried using queue element,  then frame drop is happening. It is giving following warning.

WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/MFW_GST_V4LSINK_INFO_T:mfw_gst_v4lsink_info_t0: A lot of buffers are being dropped.

When tried with mfw_isink then nothing is coming on the display and it is giving following error.

vss/mfw_gst_vss_common.c:1015 ioctl error, return -1

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may try the following.

Preserving contiguous memory region

echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/lowmem_reserve_ratio

Setting the parameter in this way, the Kernel will prevent application and file caching to fragment “too much” memory. However it will limit the amount of memory that applications can allocate.

Dropping Caches

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

This will free ALL system caches BUT this can impact other applications running in the system, requiring them to load the files they use each time the caches are dropped

There are tools for avoiding file caching of a specific application like the pagecache-management (https://code.google.com/p/pagecache-mangagement/)

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

kravik
Contributor IV

Thanks for the reply. Can you please provide link to download "mx53_linux.pdf”.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

please find the enclosed.

Summary page :

i.MX53 Software and Development Tool Resources|NXP

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos