cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enable Watchdog

mattiaberton
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using a Kinetis KM33Z128A5 serie Microcontroller, Codewarrior 10.6 and Baremetal drivers.

However, I can't enable in proper way the watchdog.

I just copied the example, in the baremetal drivers:

/* enable clocks to all on chip peripherals                             */
   SIM_Init (SIM_MODULE_ALL_PERIPH_ON_CONFIG);
// Watchdog Init
   /* Watchdog timeout is of 1.5 sec approximately                         */
   WDOG_Init(WDOG_MODULE_NORMAL_STOP_DI_DBG_DI_CONFIG(WDOG_LPO_CLK,WDOG_DIV1,1500));

But the watchdog doesn't start, neither in debug mode, nor in normal mode. I can see that it is working only if I put a breakpoint on the WDOG_Init instruction, when I see that the successive instruction is a reset.

I tried to watch the register, and what I see is that the WDOG_STCTRLH is kept at the value of 0x0152 no matter what I put in the WDOG_Init arguments. Also, after the reset this value is 0x0153.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

The watchdog register COP is a Write-Once register. 

Check in the early startup files to see if it is being disabled there.

Sadly almost all startup's I've looked at do this. :-(

See how I handle this in my vectors.c below.

Until watchdog_init() is defined in some other file the watchdog will be disabled.
When I'm ready to turn the watchdog on I add a watchdog.c/.h that does The Right Stuff in watchdog_init().

In vectors.c (the first file run, gcc compiler):

void watchdog_init( void )                          __attribute__ ((weak, alias("watchdog_turn_off")));

static void watchdog_turn_off( void ); /* The watchdog register may only be written to a single time after reset.  Default to turning it off */

static void watchdog_turn_off( void )  /* Make sure to override this in a real shipping product.  Also account for Bootloader, in MKL43/MKL27 etc, turned it off so need to from Flash */

{

SIM_COPC = 0U; /* Disable the watchdog timer */

}

void _reset_init(void)

{

irq_disable(); /* Did bootloader leave IRQs on perhaps? */

SCB_VTOR = (uint32_t) interrupt_vector_table;

sync_barrier_data();

/*

* The watchdog and power mode registers may only be written to a single time after

* reset.  Default to turning it off.  Override these function in a

* shipping product if needed:

*/

watchdog_init();

}

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mattia,

I'd highly recommend that you can refer to the WDOG driver demo which be included in the KSDK 1.3 and the demo is reside in ~\KSDK_1.3.0\examples\twrkm34z75m\driver_examples\wdog\iar.Please go to download the KSDK 1.3 through the link as below.

用于Kinetis MCU的软件开发套件|恩智浦

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos