AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX6 HAB, getting HAB_INV_SIZE event

Question asked by Jose Diaz de Grenu de Pedro on Apr 26, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2018 by jingyang xie

I am trying to make HAB work on my i.MX6Q based platform using a custom uboot based on v2015.04. This is my progress so far:

I have generated the keys, add secure boot support to uboot, also added the CSF section to uboot:

CONFIG_CSF_SIZE 0x4000

When compiling uboot, I get the following output (I manually added a printf for the ivt_offset):

Image Type:   Freescale IMX Boot Image                                                                                                       

Image Ver:    2 (i.MX53/6 compatible)                                                                                                      

Mode:         DCD                                                                                                                        

Data Size:    393216 Bytes = 384.00 kB = 0.38 MB                                                                                             

Load Address: 177ff420                                                                                                                       

Entry Point:  17800000                                                                                                                       

HAB Blocks:   177ff400 00000000 0005bc00                     

ivt_offset: 00000400

I save the compiled image in /tftpboot/sboot/uboot-compiled.imx

Then I use the following CSF file (/tftpboot/sboot/CSF.text):

#Illustrative Command Sequence File Description

[Header]

Version = 4.1

Hash Algorithm = sha256

Engine = ANY

Engine Configuration = 0

Certificate Format = X509

Signature Format = CMS

[Install SRK]

File = "../crts/SRK_1_2_3_4_table.bin"

Source index = 0 # Index of the key location in the SRK table to be installed

[Install CSFK]

# Key used to authenticate the CSF data

File = "../crts/CSF1_1_sha256_2048_65537_v3_usr_crt.pem"

[Authenticate CSF]

[Install Key]

# Key slot index used to authenticate the key to be installed

Verification index = 0

# Target key slot in HAB key store where key will be installed

Target Index = 2

# Key to install

File= "../crts/IMG1_1_sha256_2048_65537_v3_usr_crt.pem"

[Authenticate Data]

# Key slot index used to authenticate the image data

Verification index = 2

#        Address    Offset Length    Data File Path

Blocks = 0x177ff400 0x000000 0x5bc00 "/tftpboot/sboot/uboot-compiled.imx"

# Defer RNG Instantiation for Post HAB Software (3.3.2.2)

[Unlock]

Engine = CAAM

Features = RNG

And use it to generate the CSF binary which contains the uboot image sign and other information:

./cst --o /tftpboot/sboot/CSF.bin < /tftpboot/sboot/CSF.text

Then, according to AN4581, I just need to concatenate the CSF to the uboot file, and that should work:

cat /tftpboot/sboot/uboot-compiled.imx /tftpboot/sboot/CSF.bin > /tftpboot/sboot/uboot+CSF.imx

But when I try to boot with that uboot+CSF.imx image, I get the following HAB event:

=> hab_status

Secure boot disabled

HAB Configuration: 0xf0, HAB State: 0x66

--------- HAB Event 1 -----------------

event data:

0xdb 0x00 0x08 0x41 0x33 0x17 0xdd 0x00

Interpreting this event:

• First confirm that the data is an event consisting of a header, an SRCE (Status, Reason, Context, Engine) word and context dependent data. The first byte is the tag field which indicates an event when set to HAB_TAG_EVENT. The next two bytes the length and the last byte is the HAB version.
    • 0xdb: Tag:  Event (0xDB = Event)
    • 0x00, 0x08: Data length in bytes: 8 bytes
    • 0x41: HAB version: 4.1
  • The next word is the SRCE (Status|Reason|Context|Engine) which indicates the type of event that occurred.
    • 0x33: 0x33 = HAB_FAILURE: Operation failed
    • 0x17: 0x17 = HAB_INV_SIZE: Invalid data size
    • 0xdd: 0xDD = HAB_CTX_DCD: Event logged in hab_rvt.run_dcd()
    • 0x00: 0x00 = HAB_ENG_ANY: First compatible engine will be selected automatically (no engine configuration parameters are allowed)

So basically, HAB_INV_SIZE, which I interpret as there is something wrong with the binary layout.

I then though that the CSF file size is less than the CONFIG_CSF_SIZE (0x4000) so I try padding it with FF to that length:

objcopy -I binary -O binary --pad-to 0x4000 --gap-fill=0xff /tftpboot/sboot/CSF.bin /tftpboot/sboot/CSF-padded.bin

cat /tftpboot/sboot/uboot-compiled.imx /tftpboot/sboot/CSF-padded.bin > /tftpboot/sboot/uboot+CSF-padded.imx

That does not work and outputs exactly the same HAB event.

Can anyone provide more information about how to fix that HAB_INV_SIZE error?

Outcomes