I built my project, how do I flash it to the device?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I built my project, how do I flash it to the device?

briankrohn
Contributor II

I am using a FRDM-K82F board for the first time.  I set everything up and successfully built a test project.  How do I flash it to the device?  Documentation in the tutorial says to "refer to section 3.2 of your specific tool's documentation" or something like that.  KDS's section 3.2 has nothing to do with flashing the device.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian,

50% is pretty good stats in baseball :-)

Witht eh PEMicro and OpenSDA setup, under the "Debugger" tab please make sure the "Use SWD Protocol" is checked; else it gives error.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

"Use SWD Protocol" is the default, so it was already checked.

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

The JLink one worked.  The PEMicro failed with the same error as OpenSDA, so I guess I'll work with JLink for now.

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian,

I have issues with the default MBED debugger firmware on my frdm-k82f Freedom board.  Don't know if you do too.

In any case attached are instructions for loading the "Debug Configuration..." in KDS to load you project to the frdm-k82f.

The instructions start for using MBED so if you MBED is working the notes should be fine.

If your MBED is not working, I am attaching a ZIP too that has the PEMicro OpenSDA and Segger JLink debugger firmware.

In my attached "Freedom_debugger_firmware_steps.txt" file I have instructions to change from MBED to PEMicro and/or JLink.

Regards,

David

PS

I am asking factory why I have issue with MBED.  Will report back once I know.

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

And yes, that was what I was looking for regarding flashing the device.  It failed as you mentioned, so I'll try switching to PEMicro or JLink once I can get the reset button thing working.

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

The press and hold of SW1 doesn't work. I unplugged USB, held down the switch, and plugged back in (while holding it).  It did not enumerate as a mass storage device in Windows Explorer.  It seems to ignore the button and just starts up the default bubble level program.

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

Got it.  Had USB plugged into wrong port on the FRDM.

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian,

Are you using KSDK_2.0 (software demos/examples with peripheral drivers) or just KDS_3.2 (IDE) all by itself?

The KDS has documentation for using the IDE to debug a project based upon which ever debugger firmware (OpenOCD/P&E Micro/Segger JLink) you have on your FRDM-K82F Freedom board.

Look in C:\NXP\KDS_v3\doc\KDS_Users_Guide.pdf  Section 2.5 Debugging Projects.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

briankrohn
Contributor II

2.5 in that doc says, "Download and run the program on the target."  How do I do that?  That's my question.  I saw the lightning bolt icon, "Flash from file..." in KDS, but it fails with the message "OpenOCD failed with code (1)."  I assumed I was doing something wrong.

I have the KSDK installed and am using KDS 3.2.

0 Kudos