cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty FRDM-K22F Development Kits

prjic
Contributor I

Hello,

This is regarding FRDM-K22F development board failures. I've two FRDM boards gone faulty after flashing Firmware into it (different FWs). 

Issue Details: First board was purchased sometime in 2015 and had been working till couple of weeks back without any issue. Second board we purchased in 2016 March. Both boards failed in similar fashion, after FW (not FW issue, have flashed the same FW before and flashed different FWs in First, second boards ) flashing the reset LED is glowing and  board is not responding to Reset Switch. Open SDA interface is coming up as Mass Storage Drive, but not able to Flash firmware. Please provide your feedback ASAP.

BR,

Prajith

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prji,

According to your replies , your issue is definitely different with the previous and to be honest, I can't come to a conclusion about the issue, as I'm not very clearly with what the exactly problem that you have now.

So I'd like to suggest that you should clarify the phenomenon of issue again and answer the kind of questions below.

1. Can the both of boards return to the bootlaoder mode by holding the reset button while plugging in a USB cable into the OpenSDA USB port?

If the answer is no, you can use the J11 (Fig 1)with the external debugger without using the OpenSDA interface, and you also can use the OpenSDA interface debugger connector(Fig 2) to program the CMSIS-DAP Bootloader application to the K20 by referring to OpenSDAv2 .

If the boards can enter the Bootloader mode again, please drag-and-drop the attachment to the into the BOOTLOADER drive, then OpenSDA interface will soon recover.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
Ping

2016-04-16_0-03-31.jpg

Fig 1

2016-04-16_0-22-38.jpg

Fig 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prajith,

I was wondering if you can send the both of two boards to me, then I can dig deep to find out the problem.

Information is below.

Freescale Semiconductor (China) Limited

Shanghai Branch Office

No.192 Liangjing Rd.,

Pudong New Area, Shanghai,201203,PRC

Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Dear Ping,

Do you have local support in India (Bangalore)?. I've similar issues on custom board as well. This will be a problem in mass production. We are considering different Silicon vendor for this project. Please let me know if I can get local support in India.

Thanks

Prajith

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prajith,

There are the kind contact information of the India offices.

India Bangalore: 80 3924 6000

India Pune: 020 4121 3016

India Noida: 0120 3950000
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Ping,

Please get me application engineering team contact. I can get India office phone numbers from internet. 

Thanks

Prajith

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I'd highly recommend you to contact with the local office for applying for the tech support.

Thanks for your understanding.
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Hi Ping,

I had contacted these phone numbers before I sent my reply. Non-technical guys (Security) attended my call and they don't have any clue about tech support. Please get me Tech support contact or please explain me the root cause of this issue. From Freescale community forum, it's clear that my issue is a common issue with K/L-series controllers and I do not know why you are not able to explain the root cause.

I'm not asking for local support. I'm asking for escalation to higher level of technical support since you are not able to solve this issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

-PRJI

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prajith,

To provide the fastest possible support I want to point you to a

similar question which has been answered on our NXP community.

Please refer to https://community.freescale.com/message/626252#comment-626252

to view the details.

Have a great day,

Ping

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. It is not possible to try OpenSDAv2.1 Firmware method on Board-1 as the board is not responding to Rest pin signal and not coming up in Bootloader mode. Please let me know next step for this board.

Board-2: I could download OpenSDAv2.1 Firmware into it but KDS_3.0.0 throws error when tried launching debugger (Run->Debug). Tried launching debugger from different programs as well, but same error.

Figure1.png          

Tried Segger J-link as well https://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/10/05/unlocking-and-erasing-flash-with-segger-j-link/ , but ended up in following issues,

Figure2.png

Figure3.png

Could you please explain the root cause of this issue? Please let me know next step.

Thanks,

Prajith

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prajith,

The document below illustrate the thoroughly steps to implement the OpenSDA.

And I think the OpenSDA bootloader firmware may be damaged, however you also can reprogram the OpenSDA bootloader firmware to K20, as the OpenSDA is open source.

Please learn the more information through the link as below.

OpenSDAv2

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Hello,

Board1: "Flashing the bootloader will require an external debugger, such as the Keil ULink programmer or Segger JLink."-I do not have external debugger with me. Any other options?

Thanks

Prajith

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Prajith,

Unfortunately, it can't be programmed without using the programmer.
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos

prjic
Contributor I

Dear Ping,

BOARD I

I'm in big trouble now :smileysad:, yet to hear the root cause of this issue from you. I cannot do much debugging on this board, I would suggest NXP to debug this board and find out the root cause. I've worked with many Silicon vendors (TI, Cypress, NXP ..) but never experienced FW image corruption inside MCU flash. This is rare. How can I go for mass production with this controller?

BOARD II

From further debugging on the second board using Segger command line utility shows that the Flash got secured and

Mass erase is disabled. This is the worst situation, as per Reference manual the only way to recover the board is by Silicon replacement. Please find the below text copied from Device Reference manual (K22F Sub-Family Reference Manual , Rev. 3, 7/2014 ).

9.13 Debug & Security

When security is enabled (FSEC[SEC] != 10), the debug port capabilities are limited in order to prevent exploitation of secure data. In the secure state the debugger still has access to the MDM-AP Status Register and can determine the current security state of the device. In the case of a secure device, the debugger also has the capability of performing a mass erase operation via writes to the MDM-AP Control Register. In the case of a secure device that has mass erase disabled (FSEC[MEEN] = 10), attempts to mass erase via the debug interface are blocked.

It looks like this issue is common in K22F controller as I'm seeing same issue in two of my custom boards also. Please find the error message from OpenOCD below,

Error: Cannot access device, device is secured

Info : Mass erasing a device will unsecure it until the next reset. To permanently unsecure, mass erase then flash a program containing an appropriate flash configuration field.

Please escalate this issue. My mass production is getting delayed due to this issue. I cannot go ahead with this controller unless I get proper clarification from NXP team.

Thanks,

Prajith

0 Kudos