How to download my program to a MPC5554 without external SRAM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download my program to a MPC5554 without external SRAM?

PGB
Contributor I
Environment:
CW 2.2 for MPC55XX, MPC5554 without any external memory, P&E USB Multilink for MPC55XX

Hi, all!
In my application, I don't need to use any external memories. So I have no external memory on my PCB. After I failed to download my program to the MPC5554, I read the macro files and algorithm files in the CW directory and found that all the macros initialed the address 0x3000 0000 to the external SRAM. From the comments in the algorithm files, it seems the 0x3000 0000 was configed to be the cache memory for the algorithm.
If lacking the external memory is the reason why I fail to download my program to the device, what should I do except adding the external memory?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Black
Contributor I

I recommend creating a stationery project with CodeWarrior 2.2 MPC55xx New Project Wizard for the MPC5554 then add your own code to this project that can be used as an example and starting point. This stationery project uses the internal MPC5554 RAM and internal flash memories.

I hope this helps,

Black

0 Kudos

PGB
Contributor I
Thanks for your answer, Black!

In fact, my program was generated in the way you said.
I had tested the codes generated by the CW 2.2 for MPC55XX New Project Wizard via a simple LED winking program in the MPC5567EVB. But it just works while in debug mode after downloaded into the internal flash.
Looking in the codes the wizard generated, then function __init_hardware in the file __ppc_eabi_init.c(existing in all projects generated by the wizard) didn't call the function usr_init in the file MPC55xx_init.c for neither ROM_VERSION nor CACHE_VERSION was defined. Because of the usr_init was not called, the program didn't work without the debug environment.
But, even the MPC5567 program did not work properly, it can be download to the device.
I've tried to get help from the Pemicro forums for a month, but I can't receive the validation e-mail since I registered a month ago.

Expecting for more answers.
0 Kudos

Black
Contributor I

As you noticed CodeWarrior MPC55xx 2.2 has an external third party P&E PowerPC Nexus Starter Edition Debugger. If you say that your project works only in debug mode then the same initialization that is done in the P&E debugger initialization files has to be done in source code for the standalone version of your project.

In the project settings, the Target->Build Extras panel has the settings for external debugger. The stationery project uses for the RAM version the LOADTORAM -RESETFILE "mpc5500_vle.mac" and for the flash version the LOADTOFLASH -RESETFILE "mpc5500_vle.mac". These .mac files are located in CodeWarrior for MPC55xx V2.2 installation folder\pemicro. Please use the initialization from these file in your CodeWarrior project board initialization code section, and remove the external memory initialization sequence for your custom made board since you do not have such a memory on it.

I hope this helps.

If you still have issues with the debugger or for more details I recommend contacting P&E support at: http://www.pemicro.com/support/index.cfm

Thank you.

0 Kudos