Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modify yocto jethro and rebuild

damienhuang
Contributor IV

Hi

I need someone to help me on this.

I checkout the yocto jethro repo from BoundaryDevice (https://boundarydevices.com/jethro-release-of-yocto/), And followed their instruction to build SD card image, very thing is fine.

But I need to make some debugging into the yocto kernel source, so I inserted some printk statements into a kernel source file, in this instance, the "~/jethro/boundary-eval-image/tmp/work-shared/nitrogen6x/kernel-source/drivers/net/phy/micrel.c" file. However, I don't know how to recompile and get my modifications into a new build SD image.

I tried the the below three instructions

”
bitbake -c clean virtual/kernel
bitbake -c compile virtual/kernel
bitbake -c install virtual/kernel

but these instructions always reverts my modifications and put the source back to original. Can someone help me to overcome this?

Cheers,
Damien

0 Kudos
5 Replies

reneschumann
Contributor III

Hello Diana,

I made a little progress meanwhile. My order of bitbake commands worked. I can see the 800x480 config now running modetest (but the timing is wrong)...

I read the timings now from a board I know working with the display... I changed the timings now in my avd7511_drv.c and I am currently re-builfding...

René

0 Kudos

qinghuazhu
Contributor III

Hi,

Chek this :Custom driver not building with the package

Best regards.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Damien

please look at yocto project documentation

Yocto Project Linux Kernel Development Manual

i.MX Yocto Project: How can I (quickly) modify the kernel and test it?

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChrisE
Contributor I

Has anyone actually tried this solution and had success?  We are trying to make a one-line configuration change to the L4.1.15_1.2.0ga kernel in the latest (as of 7/2016) Freescale BSP for i.mx6sx on Sabre board.  EVERYTHING tried results in the kernel change being ignored and reverting to the default configuration.   Additionally, the instructions to copy "uImage" to the boot media is totally invalid for this BSP because it uses "zImage", device trees and kernel modules, which would be A LOT of stuff to manually copy across.

What is the solution to make a minor kernel configuration change and rebuild the system to generate a new .sdcard image?

How do we get Yocto to stop discarding the kernel change we make with "bitbake linux-imx -c menuconfig" and incorporate it into a rebuild of the SD card image?  Can anyone provide a sequence of bitbake commands that will do this?

Chris

0 Kudos

damienhuang
Contributor IV

Hi Chris,

To recompile the kernel with your changes, please refer to my below

message that also post at

https://boundarydevices.com/jethro-release-of-yocto/

all the best.

Cheers,

Damien

April 12, 2016 at 12:22 am

<https://boundarydevices.com/jethro-release-of-yocto/#comment-373016>

I worked it out now.

after change the source of kernel, just run command

“bitbake virtual/kernel -c compile -f” from directory “boundary-eval-image”

will get the source compiled and new binary generated at

./tmp/work/nitrogen6x-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-boundary/3.14.52-r0/build/arch/arm/boot/zImage

0 Kudos