KV58F

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

I am going to use KV58F for our new motor drive to replace MC56F8367. I have the following questions:

1) KV58F is in production?

2) I checked the TWR-KV58F board and there is a problem on 50MHz input. The alternative is to use the external input.

Can I change the 1.8VDC to 3.3VDC for board power to make it work as well? The KV58F MCU has to work with 1.8VDC or it can work with 3.3VDC? Which one do you recommend and why?

Thanks,

Christie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

1) If you are just needing to drive an incremental encoder (i.e., only have two inputs and don't need an absolute position) then I believe you would be able to drive three encoders with KV5x.  One incremental encoder would be connected to FTM1, another to FTM2, and a third to the Encoder module. 

2) Yes, eFlexPWM0 FAULT0~~3 are inputs from the external devices. Each fault pin can control the PWM output from both instances of eFlexPWM (eFlexPWM0 and eFlexPWM1). Your example you provided is confirmed. 

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answers. Here are more questions:

1) PWM0&1 Fault0~~3 are assigned to the same XBARA. How can I configure to use both of them? Do I need to switch, and how?

2) I am going to use the latest KDS 3.1 and KSDK 2.0 for my K65F project. It is better to use this environment as well for KV58F that will be available in June?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

With regard to question #1 (PWM0&1 Fault0~~3 are assigned to the same XBARA. How can I configure to use both of them? Do I need to switch, and how?), Fault 0-3 of PWM0 and PWM1 are assigned to the XBARA channels.  So unfortunately you are not able use them at the same time.  If you enabled PWM0 Fault 0, you would need to disable PWM1 Fault 0.  Or live with the fact that they are OR'd together.  I'm sorry if this causes some inconvenience in your application but that is the way the chip was desiged.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answers. Please confirm my understandings are right?

1) PWM0 FAULT0 and PWM1 FAULT0 can be ORed together if I enable both? The ORed result will be available on external pin if I configure it in XBARA?

2) I am using MC56F8367 to read three encoder input by using two encoder modules and one timer module with two channels. But, like what you said, I can't get three encoder input by using KV58F?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

1) PWM0 FAULT0 and PWM1 FAULT0 can be ORed together if I enable both? The ORed result will be available on external pin if I configure it in XBARA?  Yes. And Yes.

2) I am using MC56F8367 to read three encoder input by using two encoder modules and one timer module with two channels. But, like what you said, I can't get three encoder input by using KV58F? If I understand your situation I think you should be able to do this. There are two timer modules with channels on KV5x. This set could be used to drive one encoder.  The KV5x also has the Quadrature Encoder/Decoder (ENC) module.  This module should be able to drive the second encoder.  Note you will have to assign the inputs to this module from external world via the XBAR. 

The eFlexPWM0 FAULT0~~3 and eFlexPWM1 FAULT0~~3 should be from external logic, right? Yes.  I believe this is the case.

When there is FAULT0~~3 signal on XBARA pin, this signal can be used to control eFlexPWM0&1 PWM output, right? I believe this is the case as well.  The fault signals are physically routed from the external pin to the modules (via the XBAR) so I see no reason that they couldn't trigger the fault protection of each module. 

This pin status can be used for eFlexPWM0 and eFlePWM1? I'm not quite sure what you are asking here.  It seems like this is the same question as the question above it.

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your answers. Just want to confirm the following before I start my hardware design:

1) Like what you said, encoder/decoder module is different from 2 channel Flextimer that can be used for quad counting, right? So, KV58F can work with three encoders(just Phase A & B input)?

2) The eFlexPWM0 FAULT0~~3 are the input from external devices, not output? The each single pin can be used to control eFlexPMW0&1 PWM output? for example, I can use FAULT0 to disable FLEXPWM0_A0~~A3 and FLEXPWM1_A0~~A3, and etc...?

Have a great weekend!

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

1) If you are just needing to drive an incremental encoder (i.e., only have two inputs and don't need an absolute position) then I believe you would be able to drive three encoders with KV5x.  One incremental encoder would be connected to FTM1, another to FTM2, and a third to the Encoder module. 

2) Yes, eFlexPWM0 FAULT0~~3 are inputs from the external devices. Each fault pin can control the PWM output from both instances of eFlexPWM (eFlexPWM0 and eFlexPWM1). Your example you provided is confirmed. 

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Thanks, Chris.

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

The eFlexPWM0 FAULT0~~3 and eFlexPWM1 FAULT0~~3 should be from external logic, right?

When there is FAULT0~~3 signal on XBARA pin, this signal can be used to control eFlexPWM0&1 PWM output, right?

This pin status can be used for eFlexPWM0 and eFlePWM1?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

For #1, I am still working to get an answer to that question.  Hopefully won't be much longer.

For #2, I would use KDS 3.1, but I wouldn't use KSDK 2.0. KSDK 2.0 is very different from KSDK 1.3 so switching between the two will be very difficult.  I don't believe KV5x is scheduled to be in KSDK 2.0 anytime soon.  So I would use 1.3.  Also, the K65 has a different PWM module so I wouldn't start with that if you can help it.  It would be better to start with a KV46 (TWR-KV46F150M)  if you have access to that.  This part will have the same eFlexPWM module. 

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

Sorry. Another question:

Can I use FlexTimer to do quad counting for encoder Phase A&B?

Or it is only supported by 2 channels FlexTimer?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

You can use the FlexTimer for Quad counting of a Phase A/B encoder.  But this functionality is supported by only the instances which have two channels.  In KV58F, this would be FTM1 and FTM2.  FTM0 and FTM3 have 8 channels and target motor control. 

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the answers. Here are more questions:

1) I am using K65F for other project, not for motor control. I was recommended to use KDS 3.2 and KSDK 2.0 for this project.

If you are saying that KV58F will not be supported in KSDK 2.0 anytime soon, so I have to use KDS3.1/3.2 and KSDK 1.3 for KV58F, right?

When I checked the release note in KSDK 1.3, I can't find that KV58F is supported. Is it right?

2) I want to start with KV58F because I need more eFlexPWM, KV46 only has one, right?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

1) Yes, you should be able to use either KDS 3.1 or 3.2 and KSDK 1.3 for KV58F.  KV58F is supported in a standalone release of KSDK 1.3, so if you have the mainline release, it may not be supported in that particular release, but the software we have for KV58F is definitely KSDK 1.3 based. 

2) It appears this is the case. So if your schedule allows you to wait until you get your KV58F chips, then by all means, start with that. I was just suggesting KV46 because it sounded like you weren't going to be able to get KV58F chips in time to start your development and again, it has the same eFlexPWM module that KV58F has (although KV46 has only one instance of this).

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

I will need to consult with some colleagues regarding the PWM0 & PWM1 XBAR assignments.

As for how to select a pin for Fault0~~3 input for the PWMs, you will simply need to route the appropriate XBAR_OUT signal to the desired XBAR_IN signal.   So for example, let's say you wanted to connect PWM0_FAULT0 to pin PTE22. First note that PWM0_FAULT0 is connected to XBARA_OUT29 and pin PTE22 is XBAR pin XB_IN2 which is connected to XBARA_IN2.  So we need to have XBARA_OUT29 select XBARA_IN2.  So we find the appropriate XBARA_SEL register.  This would be XBARA_SEL14.  We need to write 0x2 to the SEL29 bit field in the XBARA_SEL14 register.  So that code would be:

XBARA_SEL14 = 0x0200;

I believe this would be it. 

Also, I don't believe KV5x will be supported in KSDK 2.0 for quite some time.  This because most of the motor control software that we have is still KSDK 1.3 based.  So the proper support software for KV5x is KSDK 1.3. 

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Iva/Chris,

I am doing pin assignment for my new design. The PWM0 & PWM1 are assigned to the same XBAR. Is it right?

Could you tell me how to make Fault0~~3 for PWM0&1 available on Pin as input?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Christie,

Now, answer your questions:

1)KV58F is in production?

KV58F is still a preproduction product.

2) 50M input on TWR-KV58F

Yes, TWR-KV58F is using the external alternative clock, if you want to use 50Mhz_OSC, you need to short J28, OFF J29, and make sure R109 is connected.

3) MCU power

According to the KV58 datasheet, you will know that, the VDD is 1.71V-3.6V, so if your MCU has 1.8V in VDD pin, the MCU can work as well.

Both 1.8V and 3.3V can work, but we recomment you use the 3.3V, because if the voltage is lower, some mcu character will not as goog as teh 3.3V VDD, including the general switching character, IO driver ability, for details, please read the KV58 datasheet.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact with me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Jingjing,

1) When will KV58F be in production?

2) From TWR-KV58F220M Errata, it means that it will be problem if I want to operate MCU in 1.8VDC, right?

If I want to operate it in 3.3VDC, this board should be fine?

3) I am going to use 3.3VDC if it is better for sure...

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

HI Christie,

I am the lead applications engineer for the KV5x devices.  First I want to say I am very happy to hear that you are going with this part for your new motor design.  Now to answer your questions

1) KV5x devices are planned to go into full production soon.  We are looking at possibly this May, if not, then this summer. 

2) Regarding the errata for the TWR-KV58F220M, the board will operate at 1.8VDC.  The issue is that on some of the boards, the oscillator used does not support 1.8VDC.  So you won't be able to use the PLL for those affected boards in that configuration, meaning you won't be able to achieve the maximum operating frequency (won't even be able to achieve frequencies higher than 100 MHz actually). HOWEVER, this should not apply to the latest boards (I believe these are the boards with soldered down devices; non-socketed boards).  The latest boards have fixed this issue, and provide a 50 MHz oscillator that operates down to 1.8VDC. 

Let me assure you that the MCU can operate from 1.71VDC -  3.6VDC (though we recommend keeping your voltage in the range of 1.8VDC - 3.3VDC to ensure you have a buffer).  We typically use 3.3VDC when operating the tower board but you may want to use 1.8VDC if your application requires lower power.  But the MCU should be fully functional at either voltage. 

Hope this helps,

Chris

0 Kudos
a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Christopher,

Glad to hear about that.

More questions:

1) On existing board(REV A, soldered down devices), it is fully functional(run@220MHz. MAX) if it operate @3.3VDC that I am going to use?

2) This board will work with your Low Voltage drive board, or only work with High Voltage drive board?

3) I tried with Low voltage drive board and can't run. Could you tell me what the right settings are to run TWR-K58F with low voltage drive board?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
chris_brown
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

In regards to your questions,

1) Yes, all TWR-KV58F220M boards are fully functional at 3.3VDC (run up to 220 MHz). 

2) By Low Voltage Drive board, I assume you mean the TWR-MC-LV3PH, yes?  If so, then yes, the TWR-MC-LV3PH should work with this board.  It actually won't work with the high-voltage platform.  There is a separate board for that system.

3) The quick start guide should have all of the information you  need to get a motor running with the TWR-MC-LV3PH. Please take a look at this document first and let me know if you have any further questions about this. 

TWR-KV58F220M Quick Start Guide

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos