cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debugging freeRTOS in KDS

Jump to solution
randylee
Contributor V

So MQX is being depreciated and FreeRTOS being used instead starting with SDK V2.0.  Fine.  OK.

So, KDS has some inherent knowledge about MQX when it debugs.  You can see stacks, processes and all kinds of good stuff.  KDS last version (3.0 or so) didn't as far as I can see... it is like debugging any other regular code.  Is there some plan to get that debugging capability of MQX for FreeRTOS in near term releases of KDS.

Got a project starting that I can live without it for a couple of months but when I get to serious debugging, that will be a very serious issue to not have it and will mean that I'll have to stick with MQX instead just to be more productive.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Randy,

as of today, you can use the free Wittenstein Eclipse plugin get task awareness (see DIY Free Toolchain for Kinetis: Part 5 – FreeRTOS Eclipse Kernel Awareness with GDB). It is not that advanced as the MQX plugin. 'Thread' based selection is not implemented in that plugin, I'm using a workaround instead (see FreeRTOS ARM Thread Debugging with Eclipse and GDB​). I expect that some of the MQX advanced debug features will move over.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Randy,

as of today, you can use the free Wittenstein Eclipse plugin get task awareness (see DIY Free Toolchain for Kinetis: Part 5 – FreeRTOS Eclipse Kernel Awareness with GDB). It is not that advanced as the MQX plugin. 'Thread' based selection is not implemented in that plugin, I'm using a workaround instead (see FreeRTOS ARM Thread Debugging with Eclipse and GDB​). I expect that some of the MQX advanced debug features will move over.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos