cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change data direction in run time in K22 KSDK 1.3 USB-CDC

MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Hello!

My customer is developing a project, in which a K22 will receive 10 strings of 12 characters every 1 second, which will be sent to a PC and printed out on a Terminal via USB-CDC.

In a much lower frequency, K22 may receive a message from the same sensor requesting human interference on the sensor like manual adjustment or replacement, or even data and waits for data, or a confirming message entered by the user on the Terminal and sent back to it.

We have tried to take the KSDK 1.3 Virtual COM Bare Metal example for FRDM-K22F and modify it to do what we need, but we were not totally successful. We don't exactly know how to switch from data sending to data receiving and vice-versa.

Anybody can give us an idea of how can we better do it?

Thanks and regards,

Marco Coelho

Applications Engineer

Siletec Eletronica

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Marco,

USB CDC class has two API for sending and receiving data to/from host:

USB_Class_CDC_Send_Data

(

cdc_handle_t          handle,

uint8_t             ep_num,

uint8_t*            app_buff,      /* [IN] buffer to send */

uint32_t            size           /* [IN] length of the transfer */

);

USB_Class_CDC_Recv_Data

(

cdc_handle_t          cdc_handle,

uint8_t             ep_num,

uint8_t*            buff_ptr,      /* [IN] buffer to send */

uint32_t            size           /* [IN] length of the transfer */

);

These functions require to receive the buffer to be sent or be used to stored the data and the size for the data to be sent/received. You can request these transactions in order to send or received data to Host.

In KSDK 1.3 CDC example, there is a loopback implementation that does the following procedure:

• After CDC device is enumerated, Device request a USB_Class_CDC_Recv_data from host:

else if (event_type == USB_DEV_EVENT_CONFIG_CHANGED)     {         /* Schedule buffer for receive */         USB_Class_CDC_Recv_Data(handle, DIC_BULK_OUT_ENDPOINT, g_curr_recv_buf, g_bulk_out_max_packet_size);         start_app = TRUE;     }

• After data is received, these data is copied in a global buffer

case USB_DEV_EVENT_DATA_RECEIVED:         {         if ((start_app == TRUE) && (start_transactions == TRUE))         {             g_recv_size = *size;

• Then, in virtual_com_app function, these data is copied to another buffer that will be sent to host by using USB_Class_CDC_Send_Data API:

void Virtual_Com_App(void) {     /* User Code */     if ((0 != g_recv_size) && (0xFFFFFFFF != g_recv_size))     {         int32_t i;         /* Copy Buffer to Send Buff */         for (i = 0; i < g_recv_size; i++)         {             //USB_PRINTF("Copied: %c\n", g_curr_recv_buf[i]);             g_curr_send_buf[g_send_size++] = g_curr_recv_buf[i];         }         g_recv_size = 0;     }     if (g_send_size)     {         uint8_t error;         uint32_t size = g_send_size;         g_send_size = 0;         error = USB_Class_CDC_Send_Data(g_app_handle, DIC_BULK_IN_ENDPOINT,             g_curr_send_buf, size);

• After data is sent, a new reception request is made and the cycle repeats:

case USB_DEV_EVENT_SEND_COMPLETE:         {         if ((size != NULL) && (*size != 0) && (!(*size % g_bulk_in_max_packet_size)))         {             /* If the last packet is the size of endpoint, then send also zero-ended packet,              ** meaning that we want to inform the host that we do not have any additional              ** data, so it can flush the output.              */             USB_Class_CDC_Send_Data(g_app_handle, DIC_BULK_IN_ENDPOINT, NULL, 0);         }         else if ((start_app == TRUE) && (start_transactions == TRUE))         {             if ((*data != NULL) || ((*data == NULL) && (*size == 0)))             {                 /* User: add your own code for send complete event */                 /* Schedule buffer for next receive event */                 USB_Class_CDC_Recv_Data(handle, DIC_BULK_OUT_ENDPOINT, g_curr_recv_buf, g_bulk_out_max_packet_size);

So basically, you manage requests for sending and receive data form Host. If you desired to implement an asynchronous half duplex scheme, you will need to modify current logic from example as it is mentioned here: https://community.freescale.com/thread/359149

I hope this can help you!

Regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos

MAPC
Senior Contributor I

Hello, Isaac

Thanks for your response.

Could you put in more details what exactly "usb_if_vcom_put(g_curr_recv_buf[i]);" does in the example you posted in KSDK VCOM example does not work without loopback?

I searched for this function in the manuals and in USB Device KSDK Baremetal library project, but I haven't found it.

Regards,

Marco Coelho

0 Kudos

isaacavila
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Marco,

This function was created by customer in previous thread (This is not part of KSDK's APIs), however, you only need to understand the architecture of the virtual com example that is explained there and modify the virtual com example according to your needs.

Regards,

Isaac

0 Kudos