How to create a hybrid android and Linux system?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a hybrid android and Linux system?

damienhuang
Contributor IV

Hi,

I need to create a hybrid system that have both android and linux for my imx6-sabrelite board. Can someone help to give me some directions or reference URL to start with?

Thanks

Damien

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Damien,

Do you mean that you want both Linux and Android running at the time? If so, I hope you realize this is a complex thing to achieve since the Cortex-A9 doesn't support hardware virtualization. You can have a look at some existing implementation but I'm not sure of the performances:

Open Virtualization - ARM TrustZone and ARM Hypervisor Open Source Software

Otherwise you could make some "peripheral partitioning", leaving 1 or 2 cores to 1 specific OS and the rest to another, making sure only one of them uses a specific peripheral. This approach isn't secure at all though.

Finally, you could have a look at Cellrox device namespace approach which could allow running different OSs on top of the same kernel:

DeviceNamespace · Cellrox/devns-patches Wiki · GitHub

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/linuxcon-2013_0.pdf 

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

damienhuang
Contributor IV

Thanks Gary.

If running two concurrent OS is difficult, can I run one OS, Android/Linux, but supporting two different types of application?

My problem is that I have two types of application, some of them were supposed to run with Android while others were supposed to run with Linux, for sample, some of the applications need glibc, while others need android support.

Some people mentioned to me with chroot, but I am wondering what the best choice is? And is there any readings I can start with?

Cheers,

Damien

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Damien,

Even without chroot you could have both bionic and glibc co-existing on the same system. Karim Yaghmour has done it some time ago:

https://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/pdf/lf_abs12_yaghmour_heritage.pdf

Google Groups

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos