IMX6SOLOX Load M4 Binary from Linux A9

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6SOLOX Load M4 Binary from Linux A9

francescoferrar
Contributor III

I use imx6sx board. On A9 core run linux, on M4 core run MQX 4.1.

M4 binary is mapped in DDR from 0x80000000 to 0x80800000. This region is reserved by dts configuration.

I need to load M4 binary from linux user space application more times.

I'd like to know if exist a procedure supported by nxp that defines how to do.

I searched on the community, forum, etc but I only found cases where the loading is done by u-boot

Francesco

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

timlapsley
Contributor I

I echo Ryan's question, did anyone get this working or have an example ?

0 Kudos

ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

Did you happen to get this working? I am attempting to do the same using the iMX7 Dual. An example to compare against would be great.

Thanks,

Ryan

0 Kudos

tcmichals
Contributor III

Is the issue stopping the M4 and reloading new firmware without the M4/A9 halting? or becoming non-repressive the issue?

0 Kudos

zvonimirmandi_
Contributor II

M4 would have to be halted. The easiest way to do that is by asserting non-self-clearing SW reset for M4 in SRC Control Register (bit 4).

A9 doesn't need to be halted as A9's used memory region doesn't overlap with M4's (if mapping the memory for Linux was done properly).

zvonimirmandi_
Contributor II

Hi Francesco,

to load binaries from Linux user-space to memory region dedicated for M4 seems like one would have to implement a Linux device driver. The driver would be accessible from user-space with standard functions for file operations (fopen, fclose,..).

You could look at Writing a Linux Kernel Module — Part 2: A Character Device | derekmolloy.ie

The described driver can easily be integrated in your Yocto build and it's a good start for implementing your custom driver.

More detailed description of Linux device drivers can be found at Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition [LWN.net]

The memory region in which you want to write to would have to be mapped from physical to virtual address space. Chapter 9 in the Linux Device Drivers describes how to do so.

This link could also be helpful: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11621911/mapping-physical-addresses-to-virtual-address-linux

Best regards

Zvonimir

ryanschaefer
Contributor IV

Are you aware of any working examples from the community?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francesco

right, BSP supports M4 application loading only by u-boot.

Seems one will have to develop own linux user space application

using example on:

MX6 SoloX bare metal startup

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos