K20 pin mux tool?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K20 pin mux tool?

rickph
Contributor I

I have a K20 design using the WS package and need to move some IO pins around to avoid crossing a costly PCB technology threshold.  I've checked NXP support forum, which led me to the Kinetis Expert SDK page, but the Tools tab on the latter has the Pins tool selection grayed out with only the Power tool selector available.  Any idea when a Pins tool would be available?  I've previously used the Pin Mux utility for an iMX6 design and found it to be a critically important step in defining the IO peripheral selection and resulting pinout.

The K20 is a much simpler beast than iMX6 and can be configured by hand, but it would a good validation step to run manually determined IO pin selections through an Expert tool in case there's some interactions/exclusivities that I may have missed.  Given the significant layout effort needed for this package type, we'd like to be sure the pinout is solid and won't need to change after layout is completed and PCB ordered.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

santiago_gonzal
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Until the Kinetis Expert pin configuration is available, you can create a Processor Expert project and open the pins tab to configure the pinout and check the functionality of each pin.

Pin and Signal List with Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse

Overview: Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse

Regards,

Santiago

0 Kudos

rickph
Contributor I

Thanks for getting back quickly.  Unfortunately, this design is for a client and they are doing the SW design so the full SDK environment is not set up here, nor am I familiar at all with it.  I was hoping that we could quickly check IO assignments with automation but the project timeline is too tight to warrant the prep and spin-up time.  I recall the iMX6 utility was a standalone application that was easy to use and run.  It will be nice to eventually have the same for this family but that doesn't help me now. 

Any other suggestions?  While you're at it, I had asked NXP about a sample layout for the K20 WS 120-pin BGA but was told nothing was available.  Is there really nothing available, even an internal design test platform? we can directly use Allegro or PADS, and at least visually utilize any other format that has a reader.

thanks

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rick Hille,

Could you tell me the full name of K20 which you are using?

We don't have the independent pin mux tool for kinetis now, actually, the kinetis pin don't have so many pins like the I.mx, about the mux, you just need to check the K20 datasheet or reference manual,chapter 10.3 Pinout , if you don't want to use the pin, just let the pin use as the default pin mux.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos