cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HC9S12 compiler upgrade

electropw
Contributor III

Hi all,

Have been using V5.1 of codewarrior for HC9S12 and have been compiling for 9S12A64 cpu.

Recently had to rebuild my W7 PC and installed V5.2 of the compiler since it was the latest.

Problem 1: this version has dropped the lib file for the a64 and now only supports C64. Had to copy old files from my backup.

Problem 2: This is the worst by far. When debugging, my C source is no longer in synch while stepping through the code.

Nothing I do seems to fix it.

I opened up my project using the project as saved in V5.1.

anybody got any ideas or solution????

thanks

Phil

Labels (1)
8 Replies

electropw
Contributor III

ok thanks Jennie,

Understand your answer and accept it.

I gather then that if the A12 were not under the 10yr guarantee it would have been dropped.

From the pricing it is again obvious that NXP wants to drop it.

We will continue with V5.1 to support our products.

regards

Phil

0 Kudos

Jiun_Yong
Contributor III

Hi Alice (and anyone else following this discussion)

Please note that we use the MC9S12A256 on some of our older products. As of yesterday, I have a customer requesting a software modification on one of these products. So software for older processors still needs to be supported.

At the same time I now have a P&E Micro Multilink FX for debugging, which was only supported in version 5.2 - my faithful old Cyclone Pro has just died :-(

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Steve

Please refer to the link below for how to use P&E Micro Multilink FX with CodeWarrior v5.1:

https://community.freescale.com/message/378157

Hope this helps!

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

0 Kudos

electropw
Contributor III

Thanks Alice,

Your reply only increases apprehension concerning product support. Your comment "we still support it" does not gel well with "but we dropped it from the development tools".

Your comment that "it needn't to update to other new software", I read as being compiler updates, again does not make sense. If it was already part of the tools why not leave it in if you still support the series. I would expect that you drop a device from the tools after you have dropped manufacture of the device, not while you still are manufacturing it. The tool update is for fixes and additions which did not apply to this device because it was "mature", so we drop it???????

This means I need to run two versions of the compiler to support a mature device and a new one.............................

This leads me to believe that the series is going EOL and I will need to inform production to prepare for a product redesign.

regards

Phil

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Phillip,

Sorry for the confusion before.

First, CW5.2 only includes support for the following derivatives. This is NXP market decision:

- MC9S12C128, MC9S12C32, MC9S12C64, MC9S12C96

- MC9S12G128, MC9S12G96

- MC9S12GC128, MC9S12GC16, MC9S12GC32, MC9S12GC64

- MC9S12GN16, MC9S12GN32

- MC9S12P32, MC9S12P64, MC9S12P96, MC9S12P128

- MC9S12XEP100, MC9S12XEP768

- MC9S12XEQ384, MC9S12XEQ512

- MC9S12XET256

- MC9S12XS128, MC9S12XS256, MC9S12XS64

- MC9S12VR16, MC9S12VR32, MC9S12VR48, MC9S12VR64

If you want to use other hcs12(x) devices, We suggest you use CW5.1.

if you want to use CW5.1 + Multilink FX, please install Patch for (S)12(X) 3rd Party Software  from P&E website:

http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

Second, regarding to your question about HCS12A longevity. Some of NXP (formerly Freescale) products are under Product Longevity program, thus we can know its longevity by checking the list:

http://www.nxp.com/about/technology-leadership/product-longevity/product-longevity-nxp-formerly-free...

however HCS12A is not under this program, normally its longevity depends on the market. There is no fix EOF for it. we can check its currently status on NXP web site:

From above we can see S12A current status is “Active” that means it is in manufacture, sale and support.

If you think it’s necessary to add S12A to CW5.2 release, I suggest you create a feature request to NXP support team, they will escalate it to CW market team.

To submit your case into the new system, please follow below steps:

1) Go to http://www.nxp.com/support/sales-and-support:SUPPORTHOME.

2) On the bottom of the page under Submit New Issues, click Hardware & Software.

3) Register with your business email to access NXP technical online support.

4) A verification email will be sent to your account. Click the link embedded in that email to verify your access.

5) On the NXP online support page, select Contact Support from the top menu and click “submit a new case” to start the process.

does this answer your questions?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

electropw
Contributor III

ok thanks.

I find it a bit stupid though to drop support on a cpu that is still in production, especially when you already had support in place.

Should I read into this that the A series is going EOL??????

Phil

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Phil,

There is not a official massage said why the CW5.2 not conclude the HCS12A serial chips .

The HCS12A does not going to EOL, we still support it .

And in my opinion, the software for this chip are mature , so it needn't to update to other new

software .

Any way , please use the CW5.1, if you have any question when you development , you can

contact us without any hesitate.

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Phillip,

Yes , the CW5.2 doesn't support the HCS12A serial chips ,

so i recommend you use the CW5.1 , on the CW5.2 there is no

lib for the chip.

Hope it helps