cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using FRDM-K64F pwm output pin to control duty cycle of buck converter

Jump to solution
nunyabruh
Contributor I

Can I use the PWM output pin on the FRDM-K64F to control the duty cycle of a Buck Converter? I want my converter to take in 12V and 6W and step it down to 5V 5W. I'm new to MCUs and I haven't found a concrete answer to this question. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi nunya bruh,

Of course, you can use the FRDM-K64F to generate the PWM for the buck converter!

But as you know, the buck converter has a great relationship with the power electronics hardware, you should refer to the power electronics knowledge to design your buck converter circuit at first, then calculate the PWM frequent and the duty cycle which the buck converter needed. At last, you can use the FTM module in the  FRDM-K64F to generate the according PWM, this is very simple.

So, please calculate what the PWM frequent and duty cycle you are needing?

About the buck converter design, please find a book of power electronics, it is the very basic knowledge and not difficult to understand.

If you have any question about this topic, you can let me know!

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi nunya bruh,

Of course, you can use the FRDM-K64F to generate the PWM for the buck converter!

But as you know, the buck converter has a great relationship with the power electronics hardware, you should refer to the power electronics knowledge to design your buck converter circuit at first, then calculate the PWM frequent and the duty cycle which the buck converter needed. At last, you can use the FTM module in the  FRDM-K64F to generate the according PWM, this is very simple.

So, please calculate what the PWM frequent and duty cycle you are needing?

About the buck converter design, please find a book of power electronics, it is the very basic knowledge and not difficult to understand.

If you have any question about this topic, you can let me know!

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos