cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KVM on T1040RDB

piddy
Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to run qemu/kvm on a T1040RDB (ppc, 64bit) board using Yocto and bitbake. According to documentation, KVM is disabled in the kernel build.

Although when i browse through the .bb and bbappend files i find this, in meta-virtualization/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.14.bbappend.

KERNEL_FEATURES_append = " features/kvm/qemu-kvm-enable.scc"

module_autoload_kvm = "kvm"

module_autoload_kvm-amd = "kvm-amd"

module_autoload_kvm-intel = "kvm-intel"

Doesn't this enable KVM in the kernel??

However, i tried to bitbake qorliq-linux and fsl-image-virt and load them onto my board, and tried --enable-kvm from qemu-system, but it tells me the KVM is not found?

I tried using bitbake -c menuconfig linux-qoriq to alter the kernel-build settings too but this command just finishes without ever showing me a menu.

What are the appropriate steps to build a kernel for T1040RDB (64bit) that allows KVM guests?

Thanks already

edit: i attached a file with output from T1040RDB boot

Original Attachment has been moved to: output.txt.zip

Labels (1)
2 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is no file of the name qemu-kvm-enable.scc in the SDK. Even if

the recipe you mentioned is included (not sure) it does not do anything.

Yes, you have to add KVM support by hand as specified here:

https://freescale.sdlproducts.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/QorIQ_SDK_1.9/GUID-9BCF19E8-1207-4A8C-B7...

If your host does not display a menuconfig window, there is something

wrong with your host Linux. The suggestions are:

1. Use a supported host Linux distribution:

https://freescale.sdlproducts.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/QorIQ_SDK_1.9/GUID-F7DA2C52-D302-4A57-A8...

2. Work in X11 environment.

3. Check this article for tuning recommendations:

https://freescale.sdlproducts.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/QorIQ_SDK_1.9/GUID-8C4D9C9C-BC81-488D-B2...

In general, the documentation you found is valid and unversal for

all PowerPC based processors supported by the SDK. There is no

specific KVM how-to for your processor.

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

piddy
Contributor II

Thanks alot ! I managed to work around the menuconfig problem. It seems specific to yocto 1.7 on Fedora? I wasn't sure if i was doing something wrong but doesn't seem like it.

I can tweak the kernel now and deploy images, although KVM is now complaining about "This KVM version does not support PAPR", not sure what is happening but i will look into it now, hope it's just a build option i forgot. (edit, yes i just forget to add CPU type :smileywink: seems to work now).

I wonder if other people have problems with bitbake menuconfig in Yocto 1.7 though

0 Kudos