Interfacing a MC9S12 with a VCP USB peripheral

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing a MC9S12 with a VCP USB peripheral

khuffman
Contributor I

I need to interface my MC9S12XDP512 processor board with a peripheral device running a virtual com port via an FTDI FX230 USB peripheral chip.  Any recommendations on the most expedient way to do this?  I have looked at the FTDI Vinculum chip, but wanted to see if other solutions were available.  The MC9S12 system will be used as a functional tester for a medium run board production (with the board under test containing the FTDI VCP USB peripheral).  The USB transfer is just a few bites (send  / receive) to validate USB functionality on the target boards.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

I suppose that you mean FTDI FT230X.

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with that chip, however I already used several times FTDI FT232R (FT232RL-28 Pin SSOP).

This chip worked file for my applications (just test equipment connected to PC).

When I compared these products I could see difference in buffers size (probably not so important) and difference in voltage levels.

FT230X - True 3.3V CMOS drive output and TTL input; operates down to 1V8 with external pull ups. Tolerant of 5V input.

FT232R - True 5V/3.3V/2.8V/1.8V CMOS drive output and TTL input.

So, FT230X should work without problem when you power MC9S12XDP512 processor board by 3.3V. However it will not generate 5V output signal when you run MCU at 5V (typical case).

I would like to recommend our older application note AN2433 5V to 3V Design Considerations

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2433.pdf

Other frequent used options are Prolific PL2303 (often used in USB-to-Serial cables) or Silabs CP2102 (used on our S12ZVML12EVBLIN evaluation board).

The next option is using NXP solution:

http://www.nxp.com/products/automotive-products/microcontrollers-and-processors/8-bit-s08-5.5v-mcus/...

However I am not sure whether I understood your description.

Production boards will be attached by FTDI VCP USB peripheral - like FT230X and you want create system which will test whether VCP work or not. Correct? In that case you probably need “USB Host” controller. All solution above are “USB device” solutions.

I would like to recommend for example Kinetis KL26, KL46, K22 families.

Ultra-Low Power MCUs – Kinetis L Series|NXP

ARM Cortex-M4 Cores|Kinetis K MCUs|NXP

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos