Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSATA with i.MX6

Jump to solution
atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello,

Can someone please explain what precisely is meant by eSATA (external analog logic also needs to support eSATA). I took this from IMX6DQRMr2 page 4491 regarding the SATA interface. By external logic, is the HDD that will be connected to iMX6 meant? If I buy a commercial HDD with eSATA interface, is it enough to make it work? Besides, isnt eSATA just SATA data connection? What analog logic difference is there such that mentioning such a phrase for eSATA is required whereas its not for SATA?

I already know that the shielding etc. is different between eSATA and SATA and so are the port physical architecture, but what changes when it comes to the signal transmitted?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Mete

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

no additional external analog logic is needed for connecting

external sata, as i.MX6 SATA PHY provides all necessary signals.

External analog logic may mean ESD circuit protection like ESD8004.

Best regards

igor

View solution in original post

4 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

eSATA is external sata, with the same signal characteristics as SATA

What is a eSATA port for? Is it one of these useful in a laptop or I can use the USB port to connect...

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello Igor,

I know what eSATA is, I am just willing to learn why the referrence manual needs to point out a something like "external analog logic also needs to support eSATA". When someone says "ANALOG LOGIC NEEDS TO SUPPORT xxxx", I assume this has something to do with voltage levels, current ratings etc. If I add an eSATA connector next to my i.MX6Q and just connect the data lines in between as if I was connecting it to a regular sata connector minus the power conenctions, what logic support is the manual referring to analog-wise? Isn't eSATA just the data lines plus some shielding and wear durability added to a regular sata data port. Where is the differing analog logic in this?

Regards,

Mete

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mete

no additional external analog logic is needed for connecting

external sata, as i.MX6 SATA PHY provides all necessary signals.

External analog logic may mean ESD circuit protection like ESD8004.

Best regards

igor

atillametetured
Contributor V

Hello Igor,

Thats all the info I needed. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mete

0 Kudos