cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FreeMaster for TWR-56F8400

aneflorez
Contributor I

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently using the TWR-56F8400. I use the CodeWarrior v10.5 to program it, and then i try to connect to the FreeMaster 1.4 through an RS232, but i cannot.

To do so, I have used the FMSTR1:FreeMaster component on my CodeWarrior, and although the FreeMaster does recognize the .elf created, it says that "Could not open the communication port (Error code: 0x80004005 Unespecified error) !"

Is this because i am not programming well the CodeWarrior? or is it because i am not doing the board connection as I should?

Thank you in advance,

Ane.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ane

I uploaded an example project for 56F84789, please use the LDM target, and I have tested it on my 56F8400 board, it works well with Freemaster.

In FreeMaster, you need to click on <Project> Menu->Options, and configure the options under <Comm> and <Map files> tab, for details, please refer to the user manual of Freemaster.

If this does not work, please check:

1) Whether your computer detect the COM port on 56F8400.

How did you connect the board with PC? By the USB port on 56F8400 board, or COM port on Tower Board?  Please open the Device Manager to check the COM port, then set the same port in Freemaster's Project->Options.

I attached a screenshot to show my COM port detected by Windows, I'm using the onboard CDC (USB serial bridge).

2) Please check the jumpers on the board

The example project that I sent is using SCI1 for communication, the jumper on J20 should be removed. 3-4 on J8 should be connected, so does 3-4 on J8.

3) If the above are all correct, but Freemaster still cannot detect the board, please test whether the SCI works well on your board.

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aneflorez
Contributor I

First, thanks for your answer. And I see what you mean, but still doesn't work. I'll try to explain myself a little better :smileyhappy:

I am connecting to the 56F8400 board via USB port, but I am using the RS232 on the TWR-SER board to connect to the FreeMaster. For doing so, I use the FMSTR:FreeMaster bean on the CodeWarrior v10.5, where I am programming. I have no errors during the compilation, the CodeWarrior does detect the 56F8400 board; everything is ok until y try to connect the FreeMaster to the PC, where the aforementioned error message pops-out.

As you suggested, I checked whether my PC could detect the COM where I place the RS232, and it does recognize it. So maybe the problem is the position of the Jumpers? (i tried your configuration, and it doesn't work), or maybe I am not doing the connection between the 56F8400 board and the TWR-SER board as I should.

You also suggested that if the above are all correct, but Freemaster still could not detect the board, I should test whether the SCI works well on my board... how can i do that?

Thank you again,

Ane.

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ane

There seems to be some problem with the SCI communication.

To check whether the SCI port works well, please create a simple project for serial communication with the same SCI port with your Freemaster project. You can use the AsynchroSerial component to implement the data transmission.

I attached an example for SCI transmission.

Best Regards

Fiona Kuang

Technical Information & Commercial Support

0 Kudos