cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign a Processor?

Jump to solution
jerrygardner
Contributor III

I'm running Kinetis Design Studio 3.1 with a K64F Freedom board.

I created my project by selection File->New->Kinetis SDK 1.x Project. I selected FRDM-K64F on the devices screen of the wizard. I've got my code compiling and running, but when I debug it, I can't see the peripheral registers. When I select Window->Show View->Peripherals, I get a message saying "There are no peripheral descriptions available, assign a device to the project". I would have thought that choosing FRDM-K64F when I created the project would have assigned the proper device, but it apparently didn't. How do I assign a device to my project so I can see the peripheral registers when debugging?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jerry,

Short answer: you can use the EmbSysRegisters view to show the peripheral registers, see How to Add Register Details View in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse .

Kind of longer answer: to use the Peripherals view, you need to set the devide in the Project (Device) settings, and you have to have CMSIS-Packs installed. Have a read at Are ARM CMSIS-Pack the Future of Software Components? | MCU on Eclipse  and especially towards the end of the article which shows the CMSIS-Pack information for the periperhal view to show the register details.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jerry,

Short answer: you can use the EmbSysRegisters view to show the peripheral registers, see How to Add Register Details View in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse .

Kind of longer answer: to use the Peripherals view, you need to set the devide in the Project (Device) settings, and you have to have CMSIS-Packs installed. Have a read at Are ARM CMSIS-Pack the Future of Software Components? | MCU on Eclipse  and especially towards the end of the article which shows the CMSIS-Pack information for the periperhal view to show the register details.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
jerrygardner
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the process in your first link and that worked and I'm now able to see the peripheral registers.

0 Kudos
jerrygardner
Contributor III

I've used EmbSysRegisters for a while now and it seems to work well--most of the time.

Sometimes I'm in the debugger with the CPU stopped and want to look at a peripheral register, so I go to the EmbSysReg window and double click on a register name. It turns green, but it does not update with the register contents. In fact, when this happens, none of the registers will display anything when I double click on them. If I then single-step or let the CPU run until it hits a breakpoint, displaying a peripheral register value will usually work.

Why doesn't it work consistently? On some occasions it doesn't display any register values unless I do a single-step or otherwise let the processor run to a breakpoint.

0 Kudos