cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Ethernet speed constraint for i.Mx6Q

nanjundam
Contributor II

Hi,

i'm using i.Mx6Q (MCIMX6Q6AVT10AD) in my design.

I want to interface the Gigabit Ethernet present in the i.Mx6Q.

As per the datasheet the maximum speed that can be achieved with Gigabit Ethernet will be 400 Mbps.

"The theoretical maximum performance of 1 Gbps ENET is limited to 470 Mbps (total for Tx and Rx) due to internal bus throughput limitations."

I'm using this Gigabit Ethernet for communication between two i.Mx6Q devices without using a PHY in between.

So will the speed constraint will remain same ? or higher speed can be achieved ?

I'm also using the PCIe interface available with i.Mx6Q for Gigabit Ethernet with PCIe to Gigabit Ethernet converter. This will be used for separate file transfer application

So, Is it possible to achieve the 1000 Mbps speed with PCIe Converted Gigabit Ethernet ?

(Note that PCIe devices/converters used are capable of handling 1Gbps speed)

Please help me with this ASAP.

Thanks & Regards,

Nanjunda M

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The known erratum ERR004512 (ENET : 1 Gb Ethernet MAC (ENET) system limitation)

relates to general system performance limitation. This affects PCIe Ethernet too.
The i.MX6 – at least initially - was not intended for best Ethernet performance.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos