cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between CodeWaarrior and Kinetis Design Studio

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

I want to know the difference between CodeWarrior and Kinetis Design Studio ?

Please give me a detailed information about the pros and cons between both of them.Please provide me the screen shots of the pros and cons also.

20 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Erich It gave me a lot of insights. I want to import a code Warrior project to KDS and I encountered this error

Screenshot (19).png

Can you tell me the reasn for it?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I general, I recommend to create a new project with the wizard and then add your source files to it. Much easier, simpler and usually the way to go.

As for that error, see the description about it in Kinetis Design Studio: Migrating KDS V2.0.0 Projects to GNU Tools for ARM Embedded (Launchpad, KDS V...

I hope this helps,

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

Ya that is the way to go by creating a new project and importing source files but i want to know the reason why i am not able to build eventhough i followed the same steps as in the above discussion link given by you and I also followed a document for importing a codeWarrior project into KDS.This is the link for that document http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KDSPUG.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Users%20Guides&...

I want to understand the problem and things behind it instead of just considering it as a black box.I got an error message saying "ld returned 1 exit status"

which should go off if I include librt as per the document but it didn't can you help me out in finding the reason and solution for it.

Screenshot (22).png

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Vignesh,

see the same document Kinetis Design Studio: Migrating KDS V2.0.0 Projects to GNU Tools for ARM Embedded (Launchpad, KDS V... about semihosting. I think you have not set the no-sys option?

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

My project is build but I am not able to run it.The error log showed these messages.

Screenshot (24).png

Can you help  me the reason for it and how to fix it?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The 'orphaned' messages in your problem view are telling me that you are not using a KDS project (maybe you are using a CodeWarrior project, or from the message as well a CodeSourcery project).

Please make sure your project is a KDS project.

I hope this helps,

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

It is Actually an Imported Project from CodeWarrior.Can you say me what I missed or what should be done to fix it?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Importing (with File > Import > Existing Project) does not convert the project. I recommend that you create a new project with File > New Kinetis Project for your device and then add your source files to that project.

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I followed your same steps by crating a new kds project and copy pasting the same source files but I got an error like this while building.

Screenshot (26).png

Eventhough the commom.h file is there it is throwing an error like this???

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You need to specify the directories where the compiler can find the header files, like in the example below:

include.jpg

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I did the changes suggested by you.Now I am able to build the project but I am not able to Run or Debug it.It shows me these error messages.

Screenshot (30).png

Screenshot (29).png

It is throwing me an error message like this.How to fix this???

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I suggest to follow the advice in that dialog box.

Erich

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I fixed that problem.The cable was causing it.But now I am able to comfortably bebug or flash in CodeWarrior but not in KDS.It is showing a dialog like this.

Screenshot (31).png

Can you tell me how to fix it???

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I checked the connection.It is proper.I am able to Flash code From CodeWarrior with the same connection???

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Does nanolibc include va_list in it ???

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

No sure if I understand. But the nano-lib includes the standard C libraries which support variable arguemnt lists.

Erich

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Thank you Erich,

I am able to build it now.I added the new library nanolib using --specs=nano.specs and then I added the semihosting -specs=rdimon.specs.I have attached the screenshot of it.

Screenshot (23).png

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Please tell me where to add the Linker options???

0 Kudos

vigneshbalaji
Senior Contributor I

Hi Erich,

I got to know that it is because of semi-hosting.where to give the instruction -specs=rdimon.specs.Please tell me where to make changes to execute semi-hosting?

0 Kudos