Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloader questions

Jump to solution
laszlomonda
Contributor IV

Hi guys,

I've just started to work with the Kinetis Bootloader, and I feel quite lost, even after reading the documentation. Please let me tell you some words about my project and its requirements.

The product is the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard which is a truly split mechanical keyboard. The right keyboard half is directly connected to the host via USB. The left keyboard half is connected to the right keyboard half via UART. I need to be able to upgrade the firmware of both keyboard halves via USB.

1. The brain of the right keyboard half is an MK22FN512VLH12. The FSL_Kinetis_Bootloader_1_2_0/src/startup/MK22F51212 directory suggests me that this processor is supported by kboot, but I don't know how to build it because there aren't any build files or KDS projects in that directory. I can't build the FSL_Kinetis_Bootloader_1_2_0/apps/led_demo/MK22F51212 demo either (not that I have any idea what the demo is supposed to do to begin with). How can I build kboot for the MK22FN512VLH12?

2. The brain of the left keyboard half is not decided yet, primarily because I'm really unsure which processors are supported by kboot. Ideally, I'd like to use a KL0x or possibly a KL1x. Which devices are supported by kboot?

3. Given the above topology, I'd like to upgrade the firmware of the left keyboard half via UART, using the right keyboard half as a transport which is directly connected to the host via USB. BusPal looks like the perfect tool for this scenario but it doesn't seem to support UART as a transport, or does it? If not, how can I achieve what I'm after?

Thank you very much in advance!

- Laci

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Laci,

There is a bootloader for FRDM-K22F (MK22FN512VLH12MCU) :Kinetis Bootloader to Update Multiple Devices in a Network for Cortex-M4

it can run on KDS3.0 , IAR or KEIL IDE, it  through the UART to update the user application . The bootloader and user application source codes are provided. GUI is also provided. Customer can make their own bootloader applications based on them.

There also have the bootloader about MKL26Z128VLH4 chip.

I think maybe this can help you .

Hope it helps

Alice

View solution in original post

6 Replies
laszlomonda
Contributor IV

Thank you very much Fareed and Alice - very useful answers!

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Laci,

There is a bootloader for FRDM-K22F (MK22FN512VLH12MCU) :Kinetis Bootloader to Update Multiple Devices in a Network for Cortex-M4

it can run on KDS3.0 , IAR or KEIL IDE, it  through the UART to update the user application . The bootloader and user application source codes are provided. GUI is also provided. Customer can make their own bootloader applications based on them.

There also have the bootloader about MKL26Z128VLH4 chip.

I think maybe this can help you .

Hope it helps

Alice

benjaminchang
Contributor V

Hello Alice,

We are now supporting to build UART and I2C bootloader for KW40Z, besides default OTA bootloader.

In FSL_Kinetis_Bootloader_1_2_0 > target, we can find target MCU series for Kxx, KLxx, and KVxx, but not KWxx.

Is there a new patch for KW4xZ? Or just follow chapter 11 of KBTLDR120RM to do our own rework?

Regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Benjamin,

I have not heard the KBOOT will add the KW4xZ.

If necessary, i think you can summit a service request to the related team,

the detail steps you can refer to How to log an issue in Case system instead CRM (Service request - not used anymore)?

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
benjaminchang
Contributor V

Hello Alice,

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Benjamin

0 Kudos
FareedMohammed
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Laci,

Thanks for your post. Here is the reply to your three questions:

1. KDS projects for bootloaders are available under targets/MK22F51212/kds folder. However, we only provide IAR project for the led_demo. The led_demo is a simple app to blink some led. You should be able to create your own kds project using the source code provided.

2. The targets folder list all the supported platforms. You may choose MKL25Z4 for second half of the keyboard. The KBOOT Reference Manual has a chapter on porting and if you decide for another platform you may refer to the document.

3. Buspal only supports I2C and SPI. You may choose to connect the two halfs with I2C or SPI. Alternately you may add supported for UART in the buspal.

Thanks

Fareed