Older compiler version in CW 10.6

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older compiler version in CW 10.6

dominikbenz
Contributor I

We switched our IDE from Codewarrior Classic 5.7 to the eclipse based v 10.6 . Unfortunately we have problems getting the existing projects running with the new compiler. Some projects are running with some work arrounds. In general the code seems to be slower with the new compiler. We tried a lot with optimization settings etc. My question: Is it possible to use an older compiler in the new eclipse based IDE? I tried to replace the mwccmcf.exe without success. Is it possible to use the toolchain from command line? Thanks for your help...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dominik,

CodeWarrior Classic V5.7 is not the tool version but the version of the IDE (which is a feature as compiler, linker, ...).

I don't have all CodeWarrior for Coldfire  versions installed but it seems the IDE v5.7 was used on all CW for Coldfire V6.x.

The IDE V5.9 was used since CodeWarrior for Coldfire V7.0 and higher versions.

Cw for MCF V6.x is an older version and it's not always easy to move from an old version to Eclipse directly.

Sometimes it could be better to move the V6.x to the V7.2 which is the last Classic version.

Attached you will find 2 important notes explaining how to move V6.x to V7.0 and V7.0/1 to V7.2.

By default the folder \CW MCU v10.6.4\MCU\ColdFire_Tools\Command_Line_Tools contains the Coldfire command line tools.

When you build the problem, Eclipse will create a makefile and call the different tools (command line) to build the project.

Now the question is: can you change them to older version ?

Yes it could be possible.

If you replace the command line tools by older version, the makefile will use it.

Now the question is how the old version could interpret the new tool configuration.

The tools provided at V6.x versions are very old and probably too old to be used like that.

The build tool options could be too different with the old tool chain.

What are the solutions ?

1- importing the old project on MCU V10.6.4.

To avoid problem and to be sure it will work as expected it could be interesting (better) sometimes to:

- port the project on CW for MCF V7.2 and check if the project is working fine (on-board),

- port the V7.2 project on CW for MCU V10.6.4 which is the last version.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/AN4104.pdf

2- use the old tool chain in Eclipse - not recommended / never tested

2 weeks ago I've created a note explaining how to use Eclipse for HCs12 project.

We don't have Eclipse version for HC12 but only Classic version which is CW for HC12 V5.1 (V5.2).

Classic - Is it possible (How) to use HCS12 on Eclipse?

You can not apply exactly this note to your Coldfire Project, but the process to create a project under Eclipse and to refer to the old tool version should be very similar.

To avoid problem we recommend you to use the new development tool chain MCU V10.6.4.

Splitting the porting process in 2 steps could be a solution to avoid problem.

I don't recommend you to use the 2nd solution which is not really interesting as the Coldfire is supported on last Eclipse version.

This could open/create new problems and difficult to say where will go in this case ...

Hope this will help

Have a great day,
Pascal
NXP Technical Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos