cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on HC08 programming board - MC68HC908GP32

nennie
Contributor I
Hello everyone,

I'm doing my university project using MC68HC908GP32. I've constructed the programming board for the monitor mode entry using 9.8304MHz crystal clock.

When I tried to enter the monitor mode using PROG08SZ Programmer, this is what I get (refer screenshot). As I go through the manual (Help), it said that
the problem for status 1. is most likely because "The part did not start the monitor mode security check on reset.  Signals to force monitor mode may be incorrect."

I've searched through the Help but I couldn't figure out what it is. Could anyone help me on this matter? I really really appreciate it. Attached are my screenshot of the problem and my circuit board.

Thank you.

Added p/n to subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-02-15 06:56 AM
Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-10-19 10:44 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

TheDon
Contributor I

This may not be the answer to your problem. You violated the rule that the connections between the xtal and the MCU must be as short as possible.

0 Kudos

thm59
Contributor II
Hello, Nennie

On your fist picture (nennie_11), I see that you configured the programmer as a "Class 1.." programmer.
Looking at your hardware (nennie_21), you have to set it as a "Class 3.." programmer, and provide the power down-power up sequence manually in order to enter in monitor mode.

The modification suggested by fredycolombia is for a "Class 4.." programmer.

th.
0 Kudos

nennie
Contributor I
Good Day everyone,

Finally, I've managed to enter the monitor mode. Now I'm proceeding to the next stage. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Regards,
Nennie Farina
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
You might point out to your supervisor you spent 1/2 a month on a non-issue for the HCS08 family.
And now as a reward for all you efforts you get to use MON08 for debugging.
0 Kudos

eckhard
Contributor V
Hello,

whats wrong with MON08 for a beginner. Why should someone build a BDM Pod which needs a HC08 Controller to make his first Microcontrolelr project ?.
How many HCC08 Controller with 5 V Powersupply and DIP Packages are availible ?
I think its ok to use the controller which is used by the Supervisor.
Another point : The peripheral modules an the HC08 are less complex as on HCS08. So why should a beginner try to make his first experiences with a more complex enviroment on a more complex chip ?

The HC0 8 Family is not bad and for a few KB of Code on a few chips MON08 is not that bad.

Eckhard
0 Kudos

fredycolombia
Contributor I
Hi nennie,

Maybe it can help you.
I replace connections  in  RST pin  (as screenshot )  and I connected to DTR (data terminal mode) in db9 conection. (normally pin 4), also if you are using max 232 a suggest use a ceramics capacitors (104).
With this connections,   I conected serial port to mi pc then to my board  and  always use 19200 baud rate, you can test with this options.  I constructed it and work  fine.

good luck,

Regads,
Fredy

0 Kudos

RickN
Contributor I
Hi Nennie,

It may be a bit late, but you might want to consider using one of the MCUs from the 9S08 family for your project.  They have the built in Background Debug Controller (BDC), which is nice to work with.   The 9S08 core is on the newer 8 bit MCUs from Freescale.    Not sure what your project needs, but the 9S08GT family might work, or even the 9S08AC family.   

There is usually an evaluation or demo board for every MCU family.  These designs are a great source of information, when getting started with a Freescale MCU project.

Thanks,

Rick 
0 Kudos

nennie
Contributor I
Hi Rick,
    Thanks for your recommendation but unfortunately, my supervisor insisted to use the HC908GP32. All projects under him must be based on it. But I'm interested to use it in my other project later.

And for Fredy,
    I will definitely try what you suggested. Really guys, you all really help me out.

Thanks you both,
Nennie
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Neenie,

You might point out that usually the major cost of the project is in software development.
Anything that makes that quicker, faster, better saves money.
Not to mention the maintenance of the software.

However in your case it sound like there are other non technical factors in play.
0 Kudos

Ake
Contributor II
Hi,
What your screen shot shows is that the MCU did not respond in any way.
Ok, the RS232 connector seems to be connected correctly.
Here is some points that you should check:

1) Have you got a 9.8 MHz crystal?
That wont do. It must be a 9.8 MHz oscillator.

2) Have you added all the pullups/downs in Table 15-1 in MC68HC908GP32/H?

3) Have you added the Vtst voltage to the /IRQ pin?

4) Have you added the 10 Kohm pullup resistor connected to PTA0?

Well I think that is what people forget the most.

Regards,
Ake
0 Kudos

nennie
Contributor I
Hello Ake,
Here are the answers for your questions:

1) Yeah, I used the 9.8MHz crystal. Definitely will change it as you mentioned.
2) I've added the pullups as in the datasheet.
3) I used the 7.5V Zener diode and managed to supply 7.5V as Vtst to the IRQ pin.
4) Yes, did that too.

So the problem is definitely with the 9.8MHz crystal. I'll try to get it from my lab ASAP. Thanks Ake for the reply and recommendation. Really appreciate it :smileyhappy:

Regards,
Nennie Farina
0 Kudos