AnsweredAssumed Answered

Implementing just the MAC/PHY for communication between boards

Question asked by Justin Arispe on Feb 5, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 by Mark Butcher

Hello everyone,

I want to see if you guys would help me figure out a little more on how to accomplish this. I'm use a Kinetis K60 Tower board and I want to set up communication between them using ethernet MAC only. Is this possible without setting up a higher software layer for TCP/IP? Basically for this project I want to be able to receive data from UART or a file from an SD card, user ethernet to transfer the data to another K60 and send that data out via UART or store it on an SD card.

Right now I'm having trouble finding out how to put together the frames correctly. I used Processor Expert to generate code for the ethernet component to learn more on how it works. I mostly understand it but one thing I simply can't find is how to set the destination address of a frame. The RM talks about this being part of the frame and that it's needed, but I can't seem to find a register that writes this part nor does it seem to be part of the buffer ring descriptor.

Also, is there any way I can see the actual code for some of the PE modules? I found that this is one for reading a file as binary and it breaks it down into a byte array, which I think would actually help me in this application.
Thanks for your help in advance!

Outcomes