Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

t2080rdb-64: cannot use an HGST 10TB SATA disk

Jump to solution
sasatomic
Contributor II

Hi,

we wanted to connect a 10TB (Ha10) disk from HGST onto a T2080RDB board (64 bit), and the board cannot recognize the disk as a block device.
The disk works well on another (x86) machine.
Smaller disks, e.g. 4TB or 6TB work well (without any issues).
I tried with an SDK (1.8) provided kernel, and this failed, and I also tried with a recompiled kernel from the SDK 1.9. I'm getting exactly the same error with both.

The error I'm getting during booting is the following:
ata2: Signature Update detected @ 9072 msecs
ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
ata2: link online but 1 devices misclassified, retrying
ata2: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 1 secs
ata2: Signature Update detected @ 504 msecs
ata2: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 10 secs
ata2: reset failed (errno=-11), retrying in 35 secs
ata2: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata2: link online but 1 devices misclassified, device detection might fail

I also tried using a PCIe-to-SATA card, and connected the SATA disk to this card, and I'm getting a similar error, only the connection is attempted at 6.0 Gbps, as would be expected. After that, the failure is the same.

I am attaching the log of the complete boot when booting with the kernel that came with the RDB board.
The P/N of the HDD that fails to show is: 0F21396 (web link: https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-archive-ha10)

Do you have any suggestions, what could I try next?

Original Attachment has been moved to: t2080-boot-log-10tb-failure.txt.zip

Tags (4)
1 Solution
sasatomic
Contributor II

Let me answer my own question, since nobody else here seems to be able/willing.

It's not a hardware, but a software issue. The HDD in question is an SMR drive and the support for SMR drives was introduced in Linux Kernel 3.19. After backporting the support for SMR (ZAC) drives to the linux-qoriq kernel 3.12, I was able to start using the 10TB Ha10 drives. So this is good.

My question is: are we, and when going to get a newer kernel for the QorIQ devices?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sasatomic
Contributor II

Let me answer my own question, since nobody else here seems to be able/willing.

It's not a hardware, but a software issue. The HDD in question is an SMR drive and the support for SMR drives was introduced in Linux Kernel 3.19. After backporting the support for SMR (ZAC) drives to the linux-qoriq kernel 3.12, I was able to start using the 10TB Ha10 drives. So this is good.

My question is: are we, and when going to get a newer kernel for the QorIQ devices?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Usually new the SDK uses new kernel version. Wait please new version of the SDK.

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sasatomic
Contributor II

Thanks Pavel, I was hoping for that. Unfortunately, going from SDK 1.8 to 1.9 the kernel version was not changed. Do you have any info on which kernel version can we expect in the new SDK?

0 Kudos