Will KSDK ever support *ALL* Kinetis devices?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will KSDK ever support *ALL* Kinetis devices?

Jump to solution
jimmorris
Contributor I

I've built products around the Kinetis processors after going to a "Kinetis Freedom Day" event at my local Arrow office about 2 years ago, and the KSDK as used with the freedom boards was a big reason I went to the Kinetis on some of our new product designs.  I am using the MK10FN1M0VLQ12 as I need the memory and I/O, but don't need USB - most of what I do is either bus based or via serial ports.  I've been waiting for *ANY* of the MK10FN parts to be supported by KSDK for a long time now, and it sure looks like they are left out in the cold yet again with the release of KSDK 2.0.

Can anyone from NXP/Freescale comment on whether support will ever be added for the MK10FN series of parts?  Why is it not supported?  Not being able to use all the tools has affected us, as we did a LOT of development using an evaluation board and using KSDK, then found we could not retarget to our own designs that used the MK10FN series, and we had to rewrite a lot of code this past year.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

thank you for your interest and for your question.

At the moment there is a public plan for KSDK Release 2, Introducing Kinetis SDK v2 but there is no MK10FN MCU.

So you have two options:

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Iva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

thank you for your interest and for your question.

At the moment there is a public plan for KSDK Release 2, Introducing Kinetis SDK v2 but there is no MK10FN MCU.

So you have two options:

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos
jimmorris
Contributor I

Unfortunately it doesn't really help me at the moment, and it is ridiculous as there is no good reason for you to not support all Kinetis processors with the Kinetis tools.  I've had to work around already the fact that KSDK was not supported already with my current product, and rewrite software to not use KSDK months ago. KBOOT is another good example of something that attracted me to the Kinetis, but which unfortunately also does not support all Kinetis processors.

I am already in production and am committed to the MK10FN1M0VLQ12 for at least the next 1500 units I build, simply due to on-hand inventory of that model of the Kinetis, and probably longer.  I am not sure I will be staying with the Kinetis as what I see with some of what I see here in these forums recently makes me wonder how committed NXP is to the Freescale tools like KDS, KSDK, MXQ, KBOOT and so on.  Those tools are the only reason I lept from using 10's of thousands of 9S08 micro's to the Kinetis family.   I'll be talking to my local FAE's and sales reps in depth as I go into another design cycle.

0 Kudos
bonzo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Use KDS and Processor Expert.  The MK10FN1M0xxx12 is supported.  For RTOS, use MQX. 

Brad

0 Kudos
jimmorris
Contributor I

That is what I already did. I just think if they are going to offer a tool like KSDK, or KBOOT for that matter, it should support all of the processors in the Kinetis family. Both KSDK and KBOOT were big reasons I even went to the Kinetis family to start with, and I needed the pinout and memory of the part I chose, and it was not clear until I was too far down the design path and had purchased thousands of devices that those two tools were unusable.  My developers had already coded using both on a Kinetis eval board, and we then had to rewrite code around just Processor Expert without KSDK, and we are still rolling our own boot loader.

0 Kudos