cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K66F+32M byte NOR+32M byte SDRAM

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

I am going to use K64F to replace our old controller with MCF5282.

Can some one provide some reference design for K66F+32M byte NOR+32Mbyte SDRAM?

Thanks,

Christie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

We don't have a reference design as you are asking for. May I ask why you mentioned you are going to use K64F? I assume you meant K66 also.

In the link below you will find all the information regrading TWR-K65 module which works for K66 also. In the 'Download' tab you can find the TWR-K65F180M Desing Package. Here you will find schematics and how it is interfaced with SDRAM.

TWR-K65F180M|Kinetis K65 Tower System Module|NXP

The same information about TWR-K64F120M is in the following link:

Kinetis K64 MCU Tower System Module|NXP

Now, if you are interested in interfacing NOR flash you may find useful 2 more things.

- TWR-MEM schematic

This system provides NOR flash, it is attached to TWR-K65 with TWR-ELEV. You can check the schematics of this sytem too.

Memory Tower System Module|NXP

- AN4393 which explains the use of Flexbus with Kinetis devices. You may interface with NOR Flash through Flexbus

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN4393.pdf

Best regards,

Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

It should be K66F, not K64F...

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Then the information above will help :smileyhappy:

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

Could you provide me the reference design of FRDM-K66F because I can't find these document on your web?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

we dont have any FRDM-K66 reference design. As you can see in the link below the TWR-K65F180M is a development board for the Kinetis K26, K65 and K66 180 MHz.

TWR-K65F180M|Kinetis K65 Tower System Module|NXP

You may use this board as evaluation and prototyping.

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

I checked the K66F with 144 pin, there is no SDRAM_D0~~SDRAM_D15. How can I connect to 32-bit SDRAM?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

With K66F you will not be able to connect to SDRAM in 32-bit data mode, only in 8-bit and 16-bit mode. If your configuration is 16-bit, the 32-bit reads and writes it will take 2 cycles but it will be transparent for the user.

Regards,

Carlos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

1. Can I run program in SDRAM if there is only 16-bit mode for K66F?

2. Can I run program in SDRAM if there is in 32-bit mode for K65F?

What is the performance difference?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Christie,

it is possible in both cases, please take a look to chapter 4.5 of next document.

Relocating Code and Data Using the KDS GCC Linker File for Kinetis

The process would be the same but configuring K65 or K66 SDRAM controller instead.

Regarding to the performance difference, we have not characterized such case, but you should consider that SDRAM will require 2 accesses per instruction.

Regards,
Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

danielrumary
Contributor II

Hi Carlos

Am I right in assuming you use SDRAM_D16 to SDRAM_D31 if used in 16 bit mode then?

0 Kudos