Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble connecting to the board through KDS

Jump to solution
edwardfranskevi
Contributor I

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone happened to have any issues with connecting with the board itself. I am using a FRDM-KL25Z board and the most recent version of KDS. In addition I have already done all the software updates through the IDE. I am using a Windows 10 PC if that matters. All I have attempted to do so far is run a sample "Hello World" project that was included in the SDK package that I downloaded from the website. In order to run this project I followed the steps laid out in http://cache.nxp.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/support_info/KSDK13GSUG.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum=1. This is the "Getting Started with Kinetis SDK (KSDK) v.1.3 document. After following all of the steps very carefully, I get the following issues when trying to run the debugger.

136182_136182.pngpastedImage_1.png136183_136183.pngpastedImage_2.png

I have read that this may be an issue with out-dated firmware? I am not sure. Here is the information regarding what is currently on my board.

136187_136187.pngpastedImage_3.png

In addition, the power indicator LED flashes when it is plugged in rather than a solid color. Any help anyone could send my way to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

E.J.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Edward Franskevicz:

As shown in your information picture your board only has an MSD bootloader firmware (Mass Storage App):

OpenSDA_KL25.png

What you need is either a Debug firmware or the combined MSD + Debug firmware.

Please carefully read all the next tutorial by colleague Erich Styger:

Illustrated Step-by-Step Instructions: Updating the Freescale Freedom Board Firmware | MCU on Eclips...

And about Windows 10, it indeed matters. You may need a Windows 7 machine to update the bootloader from version 1.09 to 1.11.

Best Regards!
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Edward Franskevicz:

As shown in your information picture your board only has an MSD bootloader firmware (Mass Storage App):

OpenSDA_KL25.png

What you need is either a Debug firmware or the combined MSD + Debug firmware.

Please carefully read all the next tutorial by colleague Erich Styger:

Illustrated Step-by-Step Instructions: Updating the Freescale Freedom Board Firmware | MCU on Eclips...

And about Windows 10, it indeed matters. You may need a Windows 7 machine to update the bootloader from version 1.09 to 1.11.

Best Regards!
Jorge Gonzalez

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

edwardfranskevi
Contributor I

Thank you very much Jorge. This did the trick. Extremely helpful.

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am glad to know Edward, you are very welcome. Kudos are for Erich above for his very useful blog.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If usinig a Windows 8/10 machine, the following article might be helpful:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/how-do-i-prevent-system-volume-...

The problem is that Windows tries to write files to FRDM board which screws the board firmware.

Diasabling this in the Windows settings should help (I have not tried that myself, but others indicate that this helps).

In the worst case, you need a Windows 7 machine somewhere to make the bootloader update.

I hope this helps,

Erich