I am having trouble using KDS on a Linux machine (Debian distribution).
I am a bit puzzled with this experience, I am quite experienced with Eclipse as I use it in my job.
I want to use KDS for personnal usage, but I also use it as an evaluation for my job, and well, I am not impressed.
The initial feedback is very negative as I have lost already plenty of time trying to setup the environment.
My board is a FRDM-KL46Z
The KDS deb package is installed, I am able to launch studio.
Installer: Kinetis Design Studio installer for Linux 64-bit DEB 3.0.0
After troubles in finding the appropriate tuto, I eventually was able to find how to setup Kinetis in order to be able to setup a board archive where I was able to load one of the project.
Of course it did not compile immediately...
I had to install arm-none-eabi-gcc myself. It is not explained you have to do it...
I solved the problems of missing libraries as well.
So now I have a compiled and linked image... Wow, This was the 3rd evening spent on this. I am not at the 5th ...
I am now trying to run debug configuration.
The 4th evening was spent trying using openOCD on CMSIS-DAP but I realized that the bootloader did not enumerate such interface although this is what is documented.
I downloaded an more recent bootloader which still does not enumerate CMSIS-DAP and figured out I should be using openSDA, although I am not sure.
After reading "Writing my first KSDK Application in KDS - Appendix C"
as well as reading http://www.nxp.com/files/32bit/doc/user_guide/OPENSDAUG.pdf (well I don't read all, I just want to do an evaluation)
I downloaded & ran a setup from P&E website, which apparently setups the udev rules even if it is not explicitly said. This still does not solve my problem
I wonder whether I am missing anything, anyway,
I am tired to try and unless anyone providesd me clear explanations on what's going-on I will buy an evaluation board from a different company.
I would like to provide a better status but this is so messy that I don't remember all the links I have been to, and what exactly I did at the end.
Below is the enumeration I get in the console with dmesg.
I am able to get the
[ 2914.710235] usb 2-1.1: new full-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
[ 2914.804649] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1357, idProduct=0707
[ 2914.804655] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 2914.804657] usb 2-1.1: Product: PEMicro/Freescale - CDC Serial Port
[ 2914.804659] usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
[ 2914.805243] cdc_acm 2-1.1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 2914.805264] cdc_acm 2-1.1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 2914.805708] usb-storage 2-1.1:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected
[ 2914.806666] scsi11 : usb-storage 2-1.1:1.2
[ 2915.806283] scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access FSL FSL/PEMICRO MSD 0001 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
[ 2915.806644] sd 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 2915.807402] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] 1983999 512-byte logical blocks: (1.01 GB/968 MiB)
[ 2915.808489] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 2915.808492] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
[ 2915.809109] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Asking for cache data failed
[ 2915.809114] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 2915.824244] sdb:
[ 2915.827334] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 2917.445005] FAT-fs (sdb): utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!