CW 8.3 How do I load symbols ONLY?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW 8.3 How do I load symbols ONLY?

j___
Contributor IV

How do I load symbols ONLY in CodeWarrior 8.3?

I have a board where the flash is already programmed and for various reasons, I do not want to reprogram it. Therefore, I connected to the target via the menu, Debug->Connect.

But as I step, I only see the disassembly that is done by the CW 8.3 debugger. I need to load the symbols.

In TI Code Composer, I would just select "load symbols only" from the .elf, .out, etc.

I cannot see how to do this in CW 8.3.

Regards,

Jim

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jim,

By default when the application is loaded on board, the debug info should be loaded.

If the debug show assembly code only, may be the generation of debug info is not selected for the source file:

pastedImage_5.png

We don't have different type of debug loader option but you can define how the loader is working under project settings panels:

pastedImage_6.png

For details I recommend you to refer to the Targeting_56800E_cd.pdf manual in the \CodeWarrior for DSC56800E v8.3\Help\PDF folder.

Have a look page 75-76.

Have a great day,
Pascal
NXP Technical Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

j___
Contributor IV

Hi Pascal,

My application is generating code with symbols. If I flash download the device as part of the debug session the symbolic information is used for stepping, memory display, etc.

My question was:

If I have a device that is ALREADY PROGRAMMED,  and I "only connect" to the target via the menu, Debug->Connect, how can I load the symbolic information so that the debugger will use those symbols. This is a very typical need in debugging, to "load symbols" and\or "add symbols" to a debug session.

Jim

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jim,

Debug + Connect feature is explained in the manual page 178:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

System-Level Connect

The CodeWarrior DSP56800E debugger lets you connect to a loaded target board and

view system registers and memory. A system-level connect does not let you view

symbolic information during a connection.

NOTE The following procedure explains how to connect in the context of developing

and debugging code on a target board. However, you can select the Debug >

Connect command anytime you have a project window open, even if you have

not yet downloaded a file to your target board.

To perform a system-level connect:

1. Select the Project window for the program you downloaded.

2. From the menu bar, select Debug > Connect.

The debugger connects to the board. You can now examine registers and the contents

of memory on the board.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The debug information is not loaded.

The debugger establishes a connection with board only.

Now the solution is to un-select all donwload feature ar "Successive Runs".

In this case no code will be reloaded/flashed on the board and in this case only the debug info will be loaded.

Keeping the Download to Initial Launch is important to be sure the application is reloaded if the source code changed.

I've performed some tests on my side with 2 projects (different) and it's working.

Without Download options checked, the debug will load debug info only.

Regards

Have a great day,
Pascal
NXP Technical Support

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos