AnsweredAssumed Answered

The price of CodeWarrior

Question asked by Ray Hall on Jan 25, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 by Pascal Irrle

Some years ago I bought the Standard version of CodeWarrior Development Studio for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers for $1000. After one year the software stopped working. I complained...and was told I have to pay another $1000 for it to work for one more year.  I was not happy, as in this first year I was still learning the Freescale S12X, and had not developed any finished working products.  There was no way I was going to waste another $1000. I installed the free version and have been using it for about two years. In this time I finished two products.

I am self taught and a use Freescale products for my own projects used on my cars. I have also developed one product for sale. To date I have not recovered the cost of making the PCB and components, let alone the wasted  $1000.

I now find my latest project exceeds the 512 byte XGate limit. I have just looked at the prices to buy a licensed version of CodeWarrior and I have to spend $2500 to get a version that will keep working after twelve months. This is a big investment for me, and I am struggling with the problem.

I have some questions and observations.

1. Are sales of Freescale hardware so bad that you have to make money selling software development tools.  

2. Why is the CodeWarrior Development Studio not free. Look at Atmel Studio 6, it is free. They still manage to make money.

3. Is the reason CodeWarrior not free because of price fixing to protect third party IDE developers.

4. There has not been an update for CodeWarrior Development Studio for HCS12(X) for a long time. Where is all the money being spent.

I have asked a few times that the Development Studio for HCS12(X)  have the limits lifted so people like me who are not some big corporation can use your products. To me it seems Freescale only wants to attract  big OEM's and not the small developer.

How about lowering prices for the Standard version or making the free version more useful.

Ray.

Outcomes